Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5

Mr23779

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5

Post by Mr23779 »

I've been taking a closer look at the Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 and am impressed. I really like my new MR14, but there's just something about the fully-rigged Ultimate I saw in my local shop the other day. Man, that is a sharp looking ride!

That might just be my next boat. Anyone here have one want to post pictures of it rigged out?

Anyone want to buy my new Manta Ray 14 so I can afford an Ultimate 14 with skirts? :twisted:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have had one since December and love it if just for the seat. I regularly stand and cast to Reds that I would have had no chance of catching had I been seated.
But, that kayak needs a rudder bad. Its ok to paddle, its when you stop paddling that its stops tracking. Even in the slightest wind its doing to go left or right until its has turned 90 degrees.
Mine is rigged solo and the only thing I have added is some rubber pipe insulation on the front rod so I can lay my fishing rods on it. The paddle clips are not of much use as I can show you where my knuckles have scraped them. One of the clips broke off so I removed the other one and never missed them.
I did add some outdoor carpet to the front just so my dog has good footing when I take her.
I tend to be on the light side for taking gear with me.
The rudder option was supposed to be out in December and has had productions problems. Latest release date is mid April.
If you can wait, they are working of a removable prop rig drive via bike pedals.
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

Yeah, I've seen the prop rig but appears as if it's only going to be released for the U12 right now. I'm sure they'll introduce it for the U14 and U16, too.
backlashcharlie

Re: Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5

Post by backlashcharlie »

Mr23779 wrote:I've been taking a closer look at the Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 and am impressed. I really like my new MR14, but there's just something about the fully-rigged Ultimate I saw in my local shop the other day. Man, that is a sharp looking ride!

That might just be my next boat. Anyone here have one want to post pictures of it rigged out?

Anyone want to buy my new Manta Ray 14 so I can afford an Ultimate 14 with skirts? :twisted:
how much u want for the mr14? :twisted:
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

BLC,

PM sent
KINGWOOD JIM

Post by KINGWOOD JIM »

What are u asking for the MR14 ??
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

KINGWOOD JIM wrote:What are u asking for the MR14 ??
PM sent
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

I just picked up my new Ultimate 14.5 about 3 weeks ago, I've had it out 3 times and I have let a couple of friends paddlie it also. I found it to track really well, glide is excellent, lots of storage room and comfortable. It's a great handling boat. I had thought about adding a rudder, but I upgraded my paddle instead. I've paddled it in wind w/ no problem, I feel like the Manta Rays have more problem w/ windcocking than the Ultimates do... I bought a tandem since it was only $100 more than the solo, so if I want I can bring a friend along, So far I have only paddled it from the solo setup. I am still working on the rigging and will post pictures soon :D

My favorite Yak by far is my Ultimate 12, I rarely even use the drop down skeg. This is a sweet handling little boat 8)
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

gonefishin,

Great report on your U14. Thanks! I've got to start saving my pennies for one.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Kewl, I bought mine from Chris and James @ Southwest Paddlesports.... Great bunch of guys. :D
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

My brother just sent me pics of the 14.5 with factory rudder installed. This shop is located near where they are made in North Carolina.
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

Oh Lord! Another poor kayak fisherman influenced by those evil people at SWPS! :lol:

They probably get sick of me over there. It's where I got my MR14, too. This is my 3rd boat from them. GREAT bunch of guys and can't recommend them more highly. Each of the guys there are top-notch and are always willing to help and answer questions, no matter how busy they are. I like doing business with people like that.

I've listened closely to advice from James and Chris and have NEVER once been steered in the wrong direction. I've never felt like I was pushed to purchase a certain product. I believe they give honest answers and honest opinions about all their products and genuinely care about doing right by their customers.
BigMuddy

Post by BigMuddy »

I have a question for the Native Ultimate 14.5 tandem owners. Can the kayak easily be converted between tandem and solo configurations? I'll primarily paddle solo but would like the option of carrying a passenger occasionally. Looks like a nice kayak/canoe thingy!
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

All you have to do to convert it to tandem is throw another seat in it. Take you maybe 10-15 seconds.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Oh Lord! Another poor kayak fisherman influenced by those evil people at SWPS! :lol:

I'm on my 5th boat from there, soon to be 6th :oops: great service and very knowledgable guys there :D
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

Soon to be 6th boat from SWPS?
Okay...spill your guts! What are you getting?
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

BigMuddy wrote:I have a question for the Native Ultimate 14.5 tandem owners. Can the kayak easily be converted between tandem and solo configurations? I'll primarily paddle solo but would like the option of carrying a passenger occasionally. Looks like a nice kayak/canoe thingy!
That's the reason I bought the tandem also, The first time I changed from Tandem to solo, I found it a little difficult, but when I got home I worked on it and it really isn't that hard to do.... I was little leery of the foam blocks to hold the seat in the center position, but they work fine, now I am working on some rod holder placement ideas that would work for both the solo and tandem set up. And I'm working on some ideas for a fishfinder that would allow me to move the transducer and fishfinder between different boats :wink:
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Mr23779 wrote:Soon to be 6th boat from SWPS?
Okay...spill your guts! What are you getting?
I'm thinking maybe another Ultimate 12, but you never know, something else may catch my eye :wink:
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

ANOTHER U12?!? I'm trying to get my first U14.5!

I heard a blasphemous rumor that Chris has been using a Magic lately.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

U14.5

Post by TKFStubb »

If you are planning to be in the AP/Corpus area this weekend, stop by the HEB+ parking lot between noon and 3pm to see a couple of Ultimates Ultimately decked out! Team TKF is employing these boats to showcase our new livewell system. We chose these boats because we could put the livewell where the front seat would normally be. That way, we can monitor the health of our fish and balance the load better. However, when we actually got to USE the boats, we found that they are SUPER comfortable, track like a rocket, and you can stand up more easily than any we've paddled. Thanks to Austin Canoe and Kayak and Texas Kayaks for helping us get in our new Legacy watercraft! Come see the beautiful sunset wraps on our boats!
anchorissues

Post by anchorissues »

I won't be able to make it down to aransas this weekend, but I'd really like to see some pictures.

Can someone take some picts of this and post up on monday?

thanks!!
Leaky Waders

Post by Leaky Waders »

I have had the Ultimate 14.5 Tandem for almost a year now and I agree with Tombo's comments regarding the comfort of the seats and the ability to stand while fishing (2 strongest selling points). I am able to use the paddle clips so long as the rear one is far enough back so as to not hit it with my hand while paddling. My kayak does not track well at all and I think that a rudder is needed.

I would like to see Gonfisnin's rod holder placement ideas as I am looking to add one myself.

When set up in the solo position I find that the foam blocks can move as the day wears on and there is both a noticeable squeak as I shift from side to side while paddling and the seat starts to wobble a bit. It takes me about 2-3 minutes to convert the seating arrangement from solo to tandem or visa-versa. You have to re-locate the cross members, move the foot rests, unstrap and relocate the seats, etc. It is in no way a 15 second conversion in my opinion.

There are no scupper holes, therefore the kayak tends to take on water in rough seas and if you get caught in a rain storm you better have something to bail the water out with. I use a small empty plastic coffee can. I cut a small hole in the container near the top of the can, ran a nylon string through the hole, tied a knot in the string so that it cannot pull through the hole. I attach the other end of the string to one of the cross members so that it is within easy reach when needed. It is an ideal fit in the wells of the kayak where the water pools.
yak on flats
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by yak on flats »

I've had my 14.5 for 8 or 9 months now,bought it from Ruben at FTU. It is the best ride I've ever been in or on. Tracking has never been an issue, but I don't drift much, just stake and move when I want to fish slow. I'm pushing 60 and the the comfort level was a major factor in my choice,have no problem fishing all day. Maybe a little more difficult exiting and entering when I want to get out and wade than the SOT's I have had. Haven't had my Marquesa in the water since I got the Ultimate.
fatolbassard

re-entry

Post by fatolbassard »

Have any of you turtled an Ultimate and had to attempt deep-water re-entry---or is this not possible. How much does the boat float when filled with water. Can you pump it out and re-enter??? :?:
Tombo

Re: re-entry

Post by Tombo »

fatolbassard wrote:Have any of you turtled an Ultimate and had to attempt deep-water re-entry---or is this not possible. How much does the boat float when filled with water. Can you pump it out and re-enter??? :?:
It is foam filled in the bow and stern. If it fills up it becomes a bath inside. Might be tough to paddle.