werner paddles ?

kfisherman66

werner paddles ?

Post by kfisherman66 »

I am looking for a new paddle debating between a Werner Skagit hooked or a Werner Tybee hooked. Just curious if anyone paddled with these or not and if so some pros or cons.

Thanks,
Kfish
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: werner paddles ?

Post by gonefishin »

Are you a high angle or a low angle paddler? The Skagit is a low angle paddle and the Tybee is a high angle paddle. When you paddle, do your hands get as high as your shoulders (low angle) or as high as your eyebrows (high angle). I have an all carbon Camano and love it for it's light easy swing weight. It's a low angle paddle. Low angle paddles have long narrow blades and high angle have shorter wider blades. You need to determine your paddling style before you make the purchase.
Hope this helps :D
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

exactly.
Here is how my daughter uses her high-angle Shuna - even when she's fairly relaxed, she's charging

I have a Camano, as well, and it's the perfect paddle for me.

Even though she charges pretty hard at everything she does, the slightly larger blade area of the Camano keeps my cruising pace up with her charge. And even more so, Werner blades are so efficient going in and out of the water.
kfisherman66

Post by kfisherman66 »

Yeah thats a big help you know you dont realize what your paddle angle is until you really concentrate on it. Just to visualize sitting at a desk in your office chair holding an imaginary paddle trying to figure out if your a high or low angle paddler; as people walk by peering in...HA. That being said I am a low angle paddler too high just makes my shoulders ache. Thanks for the help have heard alot of good things about Werner paddles.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

fair warning, if you get hold of a bent-shaft Werner, you will automatically begin paddling the air with it - it's so natural it feels like pedaling a bike.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyclerj

Post by cyclerj »

I love my Tybee. It's not the lightest, but it's gotten me out of a bind on more than a few occasions! Think 250 lb guy plus kayak and gear stuck in mud flat at low tide. Lesser paddles would have failed. I'm a high angle paddler btw...
wheelred12

Post by wheelred12 »

i have a tybee and bought a corryvrecken with the fiberglass blade and wow what a difference. The corry moves so much water and makes such a difference its like a whole new boat. IMO its definitely worth the price tag. I am a strong paddler and dont do much distance but i am excited to get it out on some bigger water and see how i do with it.