perception kayaks

kayakcastaway
Location: pasadena, tx wilderness t140, perception pescador 12

perception kayaks

Post by kayakcastaway »

I have a 14' perception SOT that no one can seem to ride....It's a spare i picked up pretty cheap in case someone else wants to tag along that needs a yak....I have seen 4 different (mostly experienced) people turtle this thing :shock: I fish out of a Tarpon 140 and haven't flipped it yet .....Has anyone else had any experience like this with these yaks? My wife wants to go out with me one of these days but if she flips it in cold water i'm gonna be cut off for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: perception kayaks

Post by texnomad »

My Perception Tribe 9.5 rides just fine. What model are you having the problem with????
kayakcastaway

Post by kayakcastaway »

it looks like an older search model (maybe) :oops: just seems really unstable compared to the 140
ANDRAX

Post by ANDRAX »

My Caster 12.5 is also pretty stable.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Since people are flipping in this yak, my guess is it's an old Prism model. If it has only 2 scupper holes, it's the original Prism. The Prism was a very fast yak, but tippy. Much faster than my SPTW and a SPTW is no slouch on the water. Later models had at least 4 scupper holes with a re-designed bottom hull.

The only other models I know of were the Swing and the Illusion. Both of these models were much more stable than the original 2 hole scupper Prism.
bigbad243

Post by bigbad243 »

I just bought a Perception Pescador 12 and it is pretty dang stable to where I can stand in it but gets a little tippy at that point. All good when I am sitting.
eriadoc

Post by eriadoc »

I have an old Aquaterra (Perception) Big Kahuna that is kind of tippy. I've teetered on it once or twice, but quickly righted myself. It's pretty fast and really durable though.
Hookem-N-Cookem

Post by Hookem-N-Cookem »

I have an Aquaterra Prism that my wife primarily uses but I have paddled it quite a bit and neither one of us has turtled it,I don't think it would be good for a very heavy person..don't know if that could be the problem or not :wink:
kayakcastaway

Post by kayakcastaway »

Thanks for all the input folks. Nightwing I believe you're right I think it is an old prism.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

kayakcastaway wrote:Nightwing I believe you're right I think it is an old prism.
See the TKF logo at the top of this page. That man is paddling the old original 2 scupper hole Prism. That is one great old yak. The original 2 hole scupper Prism didn't have a tankwell. If this yak of your's has 2 scupper holes and no tankwell, you've got yourself one of the best, "the best" yak Perception ever built. It's a great, great classic.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Back to the turtling issue. For your upcoming trip....let you wife paddle the T-140 and you take the Prism...save yourself the grief. :roll:
HawgHanger

Post by HawgHanger »

I was thinking the "search" model didnt sound right if everybody was turtling in it. I have a search 13 that is my standard loaner for folks I take with me, and knock on wood, none of them have shown me the bottom of it yet. Its pretty stable.
tjones868

Post by tjones868 »

I just bought one of the old two scupper hole Prisms thinking I would like it because I have read reviews that give high praise. I paddled around in it for a short while and found it's way too tippy for my liking. I dumped myself out of it once, and came very close quite a few more times but never actually turtled it. Maybe I'm not giving it much of a chance because I'm a newbie at kayaking and am spoiled to the ocean kayak that a friend and co-worker let me borrow to see if I would enjoy kayaking. Maybe I just need to take it out a few more times and get used to balancing it without falling out and possibly rig up some outriggers to keep it stable enough for me.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

The original 2 scupper hole was not designed for a beginner kayaker. It was designed for an experienced kayaker because it was very tippy, but it was a very fast kayak, the fastest SOT when it came out. Experienced kayakers loved this yak. It's downfall was it didn't have a tankwell and Ocean Kayak stole Perception's thunder when OK came out with the Scupper Pro TW (SPTW) even though the SPTW's tankwell wasn't very large.
GalvestonFishing

Post by GalvestonFishing »

I am thinking about buying a perception pescador 12 for my first yak!! it seems like a good starter yak for the money...
Finfisher2

Post by Finfisher2 »

Been paddling a Perception Bimini 15 for years now and love it.
It is fast, has plenty of below storage and a smallish tank well.
Might be a little tippy when you sling the stringer of 6 trout over and behind you into the tank well :lol: :lol: :lol:
Almost turtled on that one :shock:

Love my perception 8)