wilderness systems

lagavulin62

wilderness systems

Post by lagavulin62 »

is there any real difference in speed between the t160i and the t140? just wondering how much of a difference the extra 2 feet actually makes. guess I need to get down to canoesport and see about a demo? the new redfish 12 is a nice boat and very satisfied but as I get closer to a second yak I'm going to need something with more "get up" to it. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The T160 is quite a bit more efficient than the T140. It isn't just an extra two feet. The overall hull design has more to do with it.

If you want to demo one give Ruben a call over at FTU. Much easier and more pleasant to deal with IMO.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

lets go,

thanks for the info. never been to canoesport so can't comment on their service but been to ftu several times, the last time to check on a manta ray. they do seem very helpful and offered a fair deal for accessories etc... I wasn't sure if they carried wilderness systems. they are not listed as a distributer on the ws website. more covenient on the way down also. that said, would you rate it better than the 140 for all around perfomance in btb?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Yes, they carry the WS boats. As far as running through the surf it will work if you know what you're doing. Probably not at the top of most folks list for that duty, but I don't hesitate to take mine out. Compared to the T140 for that? Even though the 140 is a bit more stable, personally I'd still pick the 160. I tend to paddle longer distances so getting through the breakers is only a very small part of my day. I want a boat that paddles easily once I clear the surf.
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gofish! »

I have a 160i and it is a great boat. I have never had any trouble in the surf, but never went out when it was really rough. Once your out of the breakers you will be glad to be in a boat you can make some distance in. However, you need to make sure your rod is long enough to clear the front of the kayak. My only issue with the kayak is that it is not stable enough for me to comfortably stand up in and look for reds in the flats. I have another kayak for that.
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I've been paddling the 160i and the Perception Search 15 sometime now. If your looking to pound Surf, then check out the Search 15 also. Both Confluence Boats by the way.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

I have paddle both the 160i and 140 when I was buying my 1st SOT. I was leaning toward the 140 before I paddled them and there wasn't any comparison IMO. The 160 out preformed the 140 in all areas accept maybe the flat area in front of the seat would allow a person to stand more easily in the 140. I personally have never stood in a kayak and don't think I ever will. I catch plenty of tailing and non tailing reds sitting on my old fat butt! I have been BTB in my 160i and both times the conditions would and did keep most yakkers on the beach. Going out is the easy part it's the coming in that will get you. the 1st time I road it in like it was a wave ski but the 2nd time I ate it bad. Next time, I'll come in backwards. Instead of upside down. I also have T120's and they are a little easier to handle in the surf.
Attachments
T160i w/ the kitchen sink!
T160i w/ the kitchen sink!
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I've spent a lot of butt time in the whole Wildy line and of the Tarpons I like the 160 and the 120 far more than the 140. To me, the 140 is the dog in the bunch and I wish they'd redesign it. I expressed that thought to management several times but they weren't ready to hear it. It had its place in the begining b/c it was a compromise between the efficiency of the 160 and the stability of the old-school Ride. Once they redisigned the Ride to be more efficient AND super stable the 140 became obsolete. Hopefully they'll do something with it in the next year or so. I think there is a market for a slimmer, faster 14' Tarpon.
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

Happy is a relative term. There are happy people in Ethiopia, but that doesn't mean I want to live there. :lol:
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>°{ . N 29.45.24 W 95.21.19

Post by Spuds (Piscator Eximius) »

jsuber wrote:There are happy people in Ethiopia......
Ethiopia...??? :? :wink:

Is that near Crawfordville? :P
CANADA

Post by CANADA »

It's such a personal thing.. I like the 140 and like the 160 if it isn't windy..
still have my ride and love being able to crawl all over it when I need to..

I have both the T140 & T160 in my rental fleet if you want to try one
or both of them out some time. Just shoot me an email or call for a
reservation.. I shuttle to 3 different places..

gulfcoastkayakadventures.com
tel 979-922-1590
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Spuds, I gotta teach you everything? It's near Smithville.
Reelworld
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reelworld »

I lived in Ethiopia. It actually was very nice in most places. Quite a few misconceptions about it.
GetBent
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GetBent »

i have a 160i and really like it, but if i had to do it again i might get the 140 just for storage and loading, but if you have those problems taken care of then the 160i whatever the case ypu cant go wrong with any of the Wilderness fishing models in the bay.
FishByte

My .03

Post by FishByte »

I have the T-140 and like it. It's not nearly as fast or suited for a very long paddle as the 160i but it performs very well for a day of fun on the water.

I have spent 2 days in a 160i and they are very nice boats. In my limited experience, they do not turn or manuever as well as the 140. If it's "get up" you want and you can convienently store and portage a 16' boat I'm sure you will be very happy. As suggested elsewhere, you really need to spend some quality time in real world conditions in both of these boats and can't go wrong with either.
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

The fishing is better in Crawfordville than Ethiopia, and no one is fighting over chickens here, and there are no wreckers on the loop waiting to tow someone home. :roll:
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

well that was quite a response!! thanks to all. pretty much answered everything and now just need to try them out. not familiar at all with the hurricane but will look into it. pre-demo decisions lean towards the 160i. it's all about having a spot and getting there quickly at this point. will keep all informed.