Boga grip question

wimmer

Boga grip question

Post by wimmer »

I have been looking at different types of fish gripper. There are tons of different kinds and prices. I live on a budget with little extra money so quality is paramount. Should I just save up and buy the real thing or will a knock off do the job. Looking for any help. Thanks
Spectre5922

Re: Boga grip question

Post by Spectre5922 »

If you are looking at the Boga type grips, I wouldn't go cheap. They are worth it. Also, they are the only ones that can be certified as regulation scales for tournaments. They are definitely made of top quality parts. I use the fish gripper on my yak. It is $15, floats and does just fine for me.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Spectre5922 wrote:If you are looking at the Boga type grips, I wouldn't go cheap. They are worth it. Also, they are the only ones that can be certified as regulation scales for tournaments. They are definitely made of top quality parts. I use the fish gripper on my yak. It is $15, floats and does just fine for me.
X 2 the fish grips price is right and it floats
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I've used a boga grip knock off I think I got some years ago at Acadamy for under 15 bucks. It has served me well, and I don't treat it gently. I do, however, clean and oil it after every salt water trip along with the rest of any of my equipment used.
walkeraviator

Post by walkeraviator »

Floating fish grip here
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

Do you need a scale? If not the fish grip is all you need.
JPChavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by JPChavez »

My boga grip is probably the most well-built piece of fishing equipment I've ever purchased. I've had my boga grip for 7+ years. I put it through all sorts of abuse and it keeps on ticking. If you can afford the real thing go ahead and splurge. You'll only ever buy one (unless you fail to put a float on it...don't ask me how I know). If you don't want the accurate scale and want extra $$$ in you pocket a fish grip is the way to go.

That being said, I find myself using my two paws over a fish gripping device or a net these days.
wimmer

Post by wimmer »

Thanks for the input. My father and I are a few months away from buying our kayaks. I am trying to gather the equipment we will be needing. I have been leaning toward the fish grip, but just needed a different point of view from people with more experience. Thanks alot
BlackCuda

Post by BlackCuda »

Boga grips with a stinky pants Boga float.
http://www.stinkypantsfishing.com/Accessories.htm

I've dropped my bogas before and with the Boga float no problems.
Save up. Buy once, cry once.
spektakler

Post by spektakler »

I have had 2 upper slot reds twist out of the nylon fish grippers, after that it was Boga time (with Float) for me and my wife both. never a regret for such a fine tool.
Jesg1224

Post by Jesg1224 »

I agree with comments above and can attest to the quality of the real Boga grips by EstaBoga. They are worth the money in my opinion but if you are strapped for cash then the fish grips do the job too. The fact that the bogas swivel is very useful when you lip a fish with them and the fish starts struggling. You must put a float on them and I have a bungee type leash on mine too. It's saved me from loosing them on multiple occasions. It looks like ACK carries them. Sign up for their email distribution list and they'll send you an offer for a discount on a single item. I have the 15lb boga and I'm very happy with it. I've had it for several years now and it looks pretty much brand new.
SW wadefish

Post by SW wadefish »

I've had my Boga grip 315 for 5-6 yrs now and it's never failed me. Quick rinse after each trip since I'm wading with it 90% of the time. x2 on securing it to a float! use a good caribiner and heat shrink connection on your bunge. While I typically land fish with my hands, its nice to have something that's easy to get to, trustworthy and gives me accurate weight on those CPR fish. That said, several of my fishing buddies use fish grips and love them due to their light weight and price point...
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

5fangers wrote:Do you need a scale? If not the fish grip is all you need.
X2
mrbondoc
Location: facebook.com/tailskayakfishing @bondocsaints (IG) SanAntonio,TX

Post by mrbondoc »

i bought my bogas from Basspro on the 6 month payment plan! BOOM! worth the investment.
Jsiroc

Post by Jsiroc »

Boga all the way
DrewTK

Post by DrewTK »

I originally bought some Boga knockoffs. They were much larger than the Bogas, didn't have a weight scale, and they started to rust after one season of salt water usage, which made the mechanism stick. I now use a Boga, and they're much smaller and still look and operate like brand new after many salt water trips. Personally, I find the Fish Grips hard to use but I'd recommend them over the Boga knockoffs since they float, are light weight, and I think they'll last a lot longer.
borneo
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by borneo »

Have my boga now at least 6 years, love it :wink:
Speck Tackler

Post by Speck Tackler »

Bogas. I usually lip the fish with the Bogas out if my net. From there they go straight to the ice chest. I am yet to lose a fish and the only maintenance they require is a little oil. Check out EBay. You may be able to find a cheaper pair there.
Fish Aholic

Post by Fish Aholic »

JPChavez wrote:My boga grip is probably the most well-built piece of fishing equipment I've ever purchased. I've had my boga grip for 7+ years. I put it through all sorts of abuse and it keeps on ticking. If you can afford the real thing go ahead and splurge. You'll only ever buy one (unless you fail to put a float on it...don't ask me how I know). If you don't want the accurate scale and want extra $$$ in you pocket a fish grip is the way to go.

That being said, I find myself using my two paws over a fish gripping device or a net these days.

X2! The Boga grip is the most durable piece of equipment I have ever owned. Ya they are expensive but I can honestly say that I got the biggest bang for the buck with the Boga grip.
CaddiYak

Post by CaddiYak »

look into Lucid Fish Grips. I've had a pair for a year or two now and they work great and very rust resistant. Darn near the same as Boga grips for a fraction of the cost. lucidfishing.com
Spooled

Post by Spooled »

Boga is the way to go if you can afford it. No mess, no fuss. Just a quick rinse after wading all day, but definitely need a float.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I hardly use mine. You just have to decide what you want it for. It's good for a tournament to see what your fish weighs. I just net or not net my fish. I have some plastic fish grips that serve to hold a fish for hook removal. Boga grips are fine but they are beaucoup bucks.

I had to have one a while back and now I wonder why. I don't keep the bigger fish to eat. Big trout go back in the drink. Big reds do too. Reds. 20-23" are my eaters. Trout 16-20". Less mercury. Less toxins. Less parasites, more eggs, more tasty.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I agree with karstopo. Bogas are great, but not essential. After losing a couple of nice flounder trying to get hold of them with the boga, I decided to carry a net. Once I made that decision, the boga is rarely used. I still carry it for one reason - gafftop. A gafftop in the net with a topwater in his mouth is definitely not good. I use the boga to try to keep them out of the boat. Rare, but it happens.