Old Town Predator 13???????

emtp101
Location: Lasara Tx, fish Port Mansfield or anywhere in beautiful LLM

Old Town Predator 13???????

Post by emtp101 »

Any body out there have one, any reviews? I saw it on YouTube and now its making me think twice on purchasing a Cuda 14. :?
DucksUnlimitedkayaker

Re: Old Town Predator 13???????

Post by DucksUnlimitedkayaker »

I have paddled both predator models and both have their positive and negatives. First of all these are good yaks if you are going to be paddling in areas that are protected from the wind. The cock pit sides are very high profile and catch a lot more wind than a wildy, ocean kayak, diablo, native, etc. The seats are really comfy and fairly easy to adjust once you get the front side brackets broken in. When they are new it is tough to get the seat from the elevated to the low and low back up without making a ton of noise and trying to keep your balance once they finally let loose. The 13 does track pretty good for its size, I would definitely add a rudder to if to help fight the wind. Imo if the mx had the ability to have a rudder it would be one of the better boats on the market. I really like the wide open cockpit in the mx but I am not a fan of the center hatch on the 13. The 13's hatch seems a little low profile and I did have an issue with the side walls at the hatch caving in slightly when I stood next to it. I only weigh about 225lbs so I could only imagine how it would handle a bigger guy. On flat water this wouldn't be an issue but in choppy conditions it could possible take on some water. Could be an easy fix with some foam supports added under it. The front hatch does have an excellent seal and wont allow any water in if its secured correctly. I would definitely test paddle it before you pull the trigger. If your in the market for a stable yak that offers an elevated seat option I would throw these in the mix as well: Ocean Kayak Big Game II, Diablo Paddlesports Amigo, Diablo Adios, Wilderness Ride 135.
RoosterTX

Post by RoosterTX »

I have the MX and love it. A little slow and a little heavy, but stable as can be, very comfortable to sit in, and I catch fish out of it.

If I was to change anything, I would have gotten the 13' over the MX. I like the center rod pod on the 13 and the scupper mount for a transducer. That said, the MX has much more standing room and a bigger casting deck because it does not have the rod pod.
emtp101

Post by emtp101 »

Thanks for the input guys, I would love to try them out before I buy, I mainly fish out at Port Mansfield so I am constantly in the wind, but I am tired of just sitting on the yak, I would love the option to stand and fish. I have also been looking at the Jackson Cuda 12 and 14 models and now they have the big rig but I feel that it might be to big for the open water to paddle. I have also been looking at the Ride 135. Where would it be possible to try before you buy?
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Get u a ride! Very good to paddle and stand
13.5 is prolly ur best bet and a good all arround kayak IMHO

Z-man
emtp101

Post by emtp101 »

Thanks zman, I got lucky and made a deal with a fellow TKF memeber on a 2012 Jackson Cuda 14, I will be meeting him in about two weeks in Corpus to pick it up. As soon as I get it I will post some pics.