Any opinions on a Old Town Vapor 12?

JasonF

Any opinions on a Old Town Vapor 12?

Post by JasonF »

I have been looking for a good deal on a kayak for my girl to fish with me. Because I know she will not spend a ton of time on the water I dont want to spend a ton of money. I was going to get a Perception Pescador 12, but I just found a Vapor 12 for only $350. It is obviously sit inside, but she will never be in anything but flat water. Does anyone have an opinion or experience with this kayak? Thanks!
Jeaux

Re: Any opinions on a Old Town Vapor 12?

Post by Jeaux »

I have a Vapor Angler XT12. It is very stable handles big water even with my 235 pounds, tracks and paddles very well. The hull design is very efficient. It sails very well with a large home made V sail, and I am able to steer it by leaning and shifting my weight no rudder. I cut out the rear storage under the flip cover for additional below deck storage area. A large dry bag slides in with room for extra paddle and other misc items. I have done 20+ mile day trips, overnight trips, large rough lake crossings, never wishing I had a different yak. The only thing is the plastic is a little softer than the higher end yaks. With a little care it will last a long time. JIMO and experiances.
amcgowen

Post by amcgowen »

I have the vapor 10 and sure have loved it. The big open cockpit helps keep you cooler on hot summer days. Mine tracks especially well for a 10 footer and can tackle pretty good sized waves without getting wet because of the raised shape of the bow. I would say it would be a good investment, especially as a backup/GF boat.
JasonF

Post by JasonF »

Thanks for those replies guys! Based on your review I am going to pick it up in the morning. It is not an angler model so I will spend my afternoon rigging it up! Cheers!
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Did I hear "Old Town Vapor" that is what I modeled (the best I could) This cedar strip kayak from.........

With the underside of the hull pictured here at Bass Pro
tn_PIC_1411.JPG
and what I got off the internet and scaled down the measurments, I came up with this.....
tn_PIC_1575.JPG
tn_100_1255.JPG
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 21&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeaux

Post by Jeaux »

Ah Wood Man,

That is a good looking ride. Has it been on the water?

How about a pict of the bottom bow & stern sections? What length is it? How much does it weigh?

One day when things settle down I would like to build a 14 footer.

Thanks for sharing.
JasonF

Post by JasonF »

That is absolutely gorgeous! Much like my bamboo fly rod I would be afraid to use it!