need your help on this ocean kayak!!!

farmerJohnny

need your help on this ocean kayak!!!

Post by farmerJohnny »

Hey guys,
I just saw this kayak for sale, but I don't know exactly what type it is other than it is a ocean kayak.
1. What model is it?
2. Is it stable? I really need a stable kayak. I am very light and will not take a lot of gear.
oceankayak1.jpg
oceankayak1.jpg (4.89 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
oceankayak2.jpg
oceankayak2.jpg (4.33 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
farmerJohnny

Re: need your help on this ocean kayak!!!

Post by farmerJohnny »

Well, I just found out it is a Yak Board.
Looks like it might not be good enough for me.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Just how "light" are you in weight? As an example, I'm 160 pounds and I paddle a 14' 9" long, 26" wide Ocean Kayak SPTW. The SPTW weighs 55 pounds.
Zebco
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Zebco »

Must be nice to worry about being too light weight for a particular kayak.

I'm 220 & paddle a Wilderness Tarpon 160i and also an 18 ft. sea kayak. I know plenty of smaller people that paddle 16ft+ kayaks.

Where do you plan on going?
farmerJohnny

Post by farmerJohnny »

No I am not worried that I can't paddle a bigger kayak :)
I wanted a smaller kayak so that I can transport it easier with my honda civic.
I preferred to throw the kayak in the truck with the back seat down, and tie the trunk down. Easy and fast.

Initially I thought that this might be the frenzy but then I realized is just a yak board.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

If transporting a yak with your Honda Civic is a concern, then look at a Malibu Mini-X.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... yak/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zebco
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Zebco »

Night Wing wrote:If transporting a yak with your Honda Civic is a concern, then look at a Malibu Mini-X.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... yak/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The redneck in me says ditch the Civic and git yurself a pickup truck! :D
farmerJohnny

Post by farmerJohnny »

Night Wing wrote:If transporting a yak with your Honda Civic is a concern, then look at a Malibu Mini-X.

Yes that is what I am looking for.
I just haven't found one yet at a good enough discount :)
Not many people are selling them.
farmerJohnny

Post by farmerJohnny »

Zebco wrote:

I hear you brother. I am planning on buying some kind of SUV for 7 passengers, but can't justify the purchase just yet.
But you know gas prices keep going up.
Zebco
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Zebco »

farmerJohnny wrote:
Zebco wrote:

I hear you brother. I am planning on buying some kind of SUV for 7 passengers, but can't justify the purchase just yet.
But you know gas prices keep going up.
I have an older SUV and I'm looking to downsize. I work in the oil industry and I don't think gas prices will be getting any better.

The current administration wants high gas prices. They want us all to drive electric cars or ride public transportation.

Off on a tangent - sorry..............
NastyNate

Post by NastyNate »

With your handa civic you should be able to fit an eleven to thirteen footer on there. That yak board is going to be more of a surf kayak that's not very versatile as something like a mini x. Another kayak that's easy to handle and car top is an OK caper.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

If you can find an Ocean Kayak "Caper". It's a nice yak for an eleven footer. Very stable. Lime green, orange or yellow would be high visibility colors.

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single ... caper.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Post by Living Waters »

I put a 16 foot kayak on my 2005 Toyota Corolla, in fact I will be transporting the Hobie Adventure Island on it :)
Attachments
1-28-2011_001.jpg
1-28-2011_001.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
farmerJohnny

Post by farmerJohnny »

Living Waters wrote:I put a 16 foot kayak on my 2005 Toyota Corolla, in fact I will be transporting the Hobie Adventure Island on it :)
What rack are you using?
I know it is possible to put it on, but can you still drive at 75 mph?
I just feel a lot safer putting it in the back trunk if possible.
farmerJohnny

Post by farmerJohnny »

Night Wing wrote:If you can find an Ocean Kayak "Caper". It's a nice yak for an eleven footer. Very stable. Lime green, orange or yellow would be high visibility colors.

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single ... caper.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haven't look at the caper yet.
Do you know if it's more or less stable than the mini-x?
I have turtled on my current (cheap/unstable) kayak with all gear on, out of non-where, and I decided that my next one must be one of the most stable kayaks. I though think that length would impact stability as well (in a positive way ).
HardcoreCarnivor12

Post by HardcoreCarnivor12 »

Austin kayak has mini-x packages. Comes with kayak, paddle, seat, paddle leash, and PFD. $660 + $50 S&H to residental $15(give our take) for commercial.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

farmerJohnny wrote:
Night Wing wrote:If you can find an Ocean Kayak "Caper". It's a nice yak for an eleven footer. Very stable. Lime green, orange or yellow would be high visibility colors.

Haven't look at the caper yet.
Do you know if it's more or less stable than the mini-x?
I have turtled on my current (cheap/unstable) kayak with all gear on, out of non-where, and I decided that my next one must be one of the most stable kayaks. I though think that length would impact stability as well (in a positive way ).
A Caper is stable since it's 31" wide. To put things in it's proper perspective. My SPTW is only 26" wide.
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Post by Living Waters »

farmerJohnny wrote:
Living Waters wrote:I put a 16 foot kayak on my 2005 Toyota Corolla, in fact I will be transporting the Hobie Adventure Island on it :)
What rack are you using?
I know it is possible to put it on, but can you still drive at 75 mph?
I just feel a lot safer putting it in the back trunk if possible.
I use the Yakima rack system and yes I go in speeds of 75 to 80mph with no problems at all.
NastyNate

Post by NastyNate »

If you didn't want to spend alot on a Yakima roof rack which will be close to $300 you could get one of these http://www.austinkayak.com/products/230 ... um-30.html or http://www.austinkayak.com/products/237 ... k-Kit.html. I honestly feel that the Sherpak is a way better choice than the Strap pads but if cost is going to be a deciding factor there is no reason why the quick straps wouldn't work for any kayak that is ideally 12 feet or less. I have seen people use the quick straps for boats such as a Ride 135 and experienced no problems.Those pads would still allow you to get up to hwy speeds as well. Also if you were looking to get a yakima rack what I would do is to try and find some bars and Q-towers second hand to save money and get the clips new.

To answer your question to the caper's stability to the Mini-x. The caper is going to be just as stable as the mini-x and offer more performance primarily from the extra length and the two inches shaved off its width.

All and all if you get a yakima rack you can open your options to a thousand different kayaks.
oarfish

Post by oarfish »

With the right carrier you can carry your yak or canoe on just about any car...