TKF 7000 Club

Ocean Kayak Trident 11 Review

Post by vincent »

Ocean Kayak Trident 11

Length 11' 5"
Width 30.5"
Weight 54
Max Weight 400

I was able to take the new Trident 11 out for it's maiden voyage and put it thru some real world conditions, so I thought I would post up my initial impressions of this kayak for those interested. Clint, Sam and I fished Galv West Bay Friday evening and nite...Clint was the only one to get bit..1 red, 2 trout...myself I didn't get a bump...weather man kept calling for severe weather and possible hail...so I bugged back to Houston...we woke up to beautiful conditions..pissed...no rain..no wind....so we decided to go back for an afternoon session and relocate to Galveston Bay...by the time we got on the road around noon, the winds were cranking...we got to our first launch and I was thinking to myself thtat I made a BIG mistake in taking this 11 foot kayak on a maiden voyage in those conditions...we arrive to 2-3' sweels and whitecaps...when Clint and Sam baulked at the launch conditions...I knew I was making a mistake....we decided to take another approach to our location which would put the first section of the paddle down wind...but it would add 1 mile to the total paddle...and eventually we'd have to go back into that wind...reluctantly I went along...you know who wants to be the guy to pull a Nancy..right Bird... :D (our term for wussing out) We launch near a deep channel and paddle across to a more protected shoreline. I will compare this kayak to two other models that I own the Caper and the Prowler 13.

Chop Hull Slap and Bounce: I was really surprised at how this kayak keeps it's bow in contact with the water for it's length...the one thing that I didn't like about the Caper is that you can over paddle that kayak and push the bow out of the water, causing some bounce and hull slap. The bow of the Trident is steeper and has more volume than the Caper.

The Trident is in the background and the Prowler in the foreground

The cockpit layout is excellent...the seat area is very roomy...I'm not a big fan of the sonar shield on the Trident 13 or 15...and was glad to see it not included on the Trident 11. It has the crosslink hatch which makes access a one handed breeze. The tankwell is a bit larger than the Prowler as well...another bonus over the small tankwell the Caper has..I'm starting to become a fan of the center console...it was nice to have lots of stuff below deck but easily accessible...also looks like a novice could install a rudder on this kayak...very easy to get to the inside of the hull.

The tankwell has the standard Trident groove to hold a baitbucket in place and is slightly ridged to keep things from sitting in any accumulated water.

Width, Stability, Tracking

It's a bit wider than the Prowler 13 but weighs the same...probably why it doesn't get tossed around in heavy chop or bounce. The hull made constant contact with the water...no need to put anything in the hatch to keep it down. Stability is a joke...I could stand and walk to the hatch..or turn around and get something from the tank...granted I'm 125lbs but there was very little side to side rock while standing..and the kayak didnt rock when paddled. Tracking was amazing...I put a ruddder on this kayak and when pointed in the direction you wanted it was almost impossible vary off course...I kept telling the guys I don't think I've ever paddled a kayak in bad conditions that held it course better than this kayak...wind wasn't a problem and it didn't push this kayak around like it does some smaller lighter kayaks. This is also a very dry kayak...the footwells performed the same as the Trident 15 and 13 and stayed clear of water...the seat area and rest of the kayak stayed dry as well.

Speed:
Ok..this is where I thought it would really take a dip....but for many stretches I got along side Clint or Sam and matched stroke rate with them...the crusing speed was right up with the Prowler 13...I'm sure at top speed or in a race it would get smoked by the 13...but while paddling out and back at normal rate it held it's own...even up wind..so bottom line..this kayak may not paddle as fast as some longer kayaks..but I usualy judge one by how hard is it to get up to cruising speed and how hard is it to keep it at that speed.

Total Distance Paddled: 5.4 Miles

Overall this is the best small kayak I've ever paddled..for stability, glide, speed, comfort...I give it a A+ and I"ll probably use it more than the Caper in days to come....I'm not doggin the Caper..it's smaller, lighter, easier to carry, and with a rounded bottom much easier to drag than the Prowler or Trident and drafts less water...it will stay in the line up and get plenty of use...but if I were purchasing a new kayak I'd choose the Trident over the Caper.

I'ver heard people tell me the Trident has a higher freeboard than the Prowler ..I just don't see it though

Izzy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Izzy »

Great review and report, the weather men also keep me off the water early on Sat. anticipating thunderstorms. Go figure, I shoulda went early. :lol:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

A great review. Really indepth reporting. A review is so much better with photos in conjunction with other yaks. Nice comparison.

BTW, I liked the yak that was.....hanging on your garage wall also. :wink:
Tyak
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Tyak »

Cool review, Vincent.

We need more side by side comparisons like this.
8)
Ty
~BUCKSHOT~
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ~BUCKSHOT~ »

Dang Vincent your garage looks like mine! :D
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Thanks for the info Vincent. Very Good review as usual.
justletmefish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by justletmefish »

This is the Kayak my Son wants me to get him. Thanks for the review.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Dang Vincent your garage looks like mine!
That pic caught me in the middle of a garage improvement project...I built a new rack to hold 5 kayaks plus my coolers on rollers

I only have 3 on it right now but plan to add to more sets of rails on the top to hold two more kayaks

I got one of these Malone J Docks to hang on the wall...I like them way more than the standard double strap...the kayak under the metal rack hangs nicely without smashing the wall and the metal dock is very sturdy.

Hmmmm 3 on the wall...3 in the rack...2 on the trailer and space for 2 more on the rack...looks like I got room for 2 more kayaks... :D
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

I went along...you know who wants to be the guy to pull a Nancy..right Bird...
LOL. HEY! I only balk at your 15 mile paddles when I know there is lower hanging fruit for the pickin'. 8) :roll: :wink:

Nice review.
surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfers77 »

WOW, Peeking into your Garage and Fishmans Garage is better than going into Academy, almost like peeking into Fisherman Heaven. :D
Sam
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Sam »

Night Wing wrote: BTW, I liked the yak that was.....hanging on your garage wall also. :wink:
That's the old S.S. Stink Pickle...the fastest personally propelled piece of polymer on the water. He's been paddling those wide bodies for so long he could probably really get that thing moving now.
FISHMAN
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Rock Port--Corpus Christi--KAYAK FISHING GUIDE www.fishmansguideservice.com / Team Ocean Kayak.com

Post by FISHMAN »

surfers77 wrote:WOW, Peeking into your Garage and Fishmans Garage is better than going into Academy, almost like peeking into Fisherman Heaven. :D
It's my own Academy with 9 kayaks in it..,,, :D
Last edited by FISHMAN on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nim Rod

Post by Nim Rod »

You know Vincent the kayaks and the garage and all are very interesting...

but that there trailer is the BOMB :!:

Give us a review on that and let us know if its' good enough to get a 2nd mortgage :)
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

but that there trailer is the BOMB

Give us a review on that and let us know if its' good enough to get a 2nd mortgage
I will get some good empty pics this weekend and give it a review...
kingfish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Trailer

Post by kingfish »

Vincent, if you wanted to occasionally carry a 3rd yak on there could you just lay a coule of pvc pipes covered with pool noodles across the other 2 yaks and carry a 3rd without altering the rigging?

Great report and I like the looks of that Trident and the performance sounds great.

I wish my garage had as much spare room as yours. Mine is a 3 car and has a popup camper and 3 yaks and tackle and the rest is filled with junk.

Kingfish
Kayak Nomad 2

Post by Kayak Nomad 2 »

Vincent,

PM sent
Scubasteve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Scubasteve »

Makes me miss my Prowler

sS