Heroes on the Water

double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Heroes on the Water

Post by double dip »

FYI – This is our press release for the award of a 50K Grant from TPWD. We are EXTREMELY happy. And we are expanding. We are currently working at Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Darnall Army Hospital at Ft Hood, Killeen, TX, and Madigan Army Hospital at FT. Lewis near Tacoma in Washington State. We plan to expand around the country. If you know anyone in the press corp, outdoor writers, outdoor manufacturer's or anyone who may be interested, please feel free to forward. We need all the publicity we can get. This is a VERY rewarding program. Email me at the address below if you want more info.

Jim (Double Dip)

Kayak Fishing Program for Wounded Warriors Awarded $50,000 Grant
Media Contact: Jim Dolan, 214-295-4541, or jim@KayakAnglersSA.org
ALLEN, Texas – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department announced July 30 that it had awarded a $50,000 grant to support the Kayak Anglers Society of America’s Heroes on the Water program. This program is designed to introduce the rehabilitative aspects of kayak angling to veterans recovering from war injuries. .
The Texas non-profit was formed in 2007 by avid kayak anglers who also happened to be veterans of the United States armed forces.
With a stated goal of increasing access to and participation in kayak angling nationwide, it didn’t take long for KASA founders to reach out to wounded warriors at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.
“Working with program managers at BAMC and Fort Sam Houston, we were able to take our first soldier kayak fishing in October of last year,” said KASA treasurer and board member Jim Dolan, a former U.S. Air Force C-130 pilot. “From there it just kind of grew. By December, we were on our fifth trip, trout fishing on the Blanco River with eight wounded warriors.”
Dolan said the TPWD grant is “bootstrap money” that will help the organization acquire paddling and fishing equipment and pay some of the transportation costs associated with the outings.
“We’ve had tremendous interest in this program,” Dolan said. “We’ve actually had more people interested in going out with us than we had money or volunteers to accommodate. This grant will really help, but it’s just a start.”
Danny Paschall, a board member and former enlisted soldier who now works in the oil and gas industry in Houston, said time on the water and recovery from war wounds is a pretty good match.
“To begin with, kayak fishing is an independent activity that almost anyone can participate in,” he said. “It can be just as serene and relaxing or just as exciting and fast-paced as you want it to be. It’s also a lifetime skill that people can continue to enjoy well into their senior years.”
Past participants in the outings have suffered injuries ranging from amputations to burns to traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder.
“We haven’t had anyone who couldn’t comfortably paddle and fish,” said KASA board member Kendal Larson, a professional photographer who also served in the Air Force. “Those plastic boats are great equalizers. The relaxation and empowerment we see in the troops is strong stuff.”
KASA has plans for as many as a dozen outings in the next year, all of which are free to participants.
For more information on KASA programs, including Heroes on the Water, or to donate, visit the KASA Web site. Certification of KASA as a non-profit educational organization under IRS Code Chapter 501(c)(3) is pending, and donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
---
On the Net:
http://www.KayakAnglersSA.org
EDITORS: For high-resolution digital images of HOW outings, please contact Jim Dolan at jim@KayakAnglersSA.org.
Fish Tales
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Fish Tales »

Congratulations on the grant. That is great thing that you all are doing
cadruss2004
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cadruss2004 »

DD, I'll try to spread the word to our American Legion Post, and maybe my doctor at the VA hospital.
Great news, keep it up!
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SA LUTE!
Jawz529

Post by Jawz529 »

i sent it off to my army buddy in miami, fla. And ill send it off to others as well..

Would not mind donating time for the cause as well.
FISHMAN
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Rock Port--Corpus Christi--KAYAK FISHING GUIDE www.fishmansguideservice.com / Team Ocean Kayak.com

Post by FISHMAN »

I Personally was lucky enough to be a part of the very first event last year and I'm looking forward to many more. I wish I could describe the feeling you get when you're out enjoying the day with these brave young men and women. They're so thankful to just get out of the hospital for the day and forget all of their troubles. They're constantly thanking everyone for letting them come out and enjoy the day kayak fishing, because for most of them It''s something they've never done. My reply was to thank them from all of us" for all of the things they have sacrificed and done for us all.
theduck
Location: ARANSAS PASS, TX - A little chunk of paradise fifteen minutes from the Port A Ferry Landing

Post by theduck »

Soooo Cool!!! Send some of them down here to my area and I'll

do my best to put'em on some fish and help them out with their yaks.

Seriously, Tom

BTW, I'm on crutches and it don't stop me !@!
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

Yo, DD! Get an event going, and I'll bring the stuff to cook some grub. As long as it's around the middle coast...I ain't going to the valley or Houston... Let me know in plenty of time so that I can round up the stuff! :D

Red
ynotkayak

Post by ynotkayak »

GOD BLESS YOU for what you are doing. Please keep us posted on future outings and how I can help. :clap:
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Thanks to Fil. It was a great time and we appreciate what you did to help these guys. Please send me your email address if you want to volunteer, I will be sending out emails that will eventually turn into a newsletter. And we will need help in everything from cooking to guiding. Thanks for the offers. Please know that we will make every effort to keep you informed. It may be next spring before we make it to the coast as we will have to set that up way in advance.
FISHMAN
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Rock Port--Corpus Christi--KAYAK FISHING GUIDE www.fishmansguideservice.com / Team Ocean Kayak.com

Post by FISHMAN »

double dip wrote:Thanks to Fil. It was a great time and we appreciate what you did to help these guys. Please send me your email address if you want to volunteer, I will be sending out emails that will eventually turn into a newsletter. And we will need help in everything from cooking to guiding. Thanks for the offers. Please know that we will make every effort to keep you informed. It may be next spring before we make it to the coast as we will have to set that up way in advance.
Slowride and I have already sent in the forms at the beginning of this year. Let us know if we have to fill out another one.
DB
Location: Planning, engaged in, or recovering from a fishing trip"

Post by DB »

Excellent project. PM sent.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

Double Dip: Check your PM :D
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

WAY TO GO AMIGO!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Barnacle Bill wrote:WAY TO GO AMIGO!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
WATTYA MEAN---- " You guys "

To all -- BB is helping us and has become an integral part of the organization. If there is a place for a metrosexual Pirate, you can be assured there is a place for you!!! :lol: :lol:
Minnow
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Minnow »

double dip wrote:
Barnacle Bill wrote:WAY TO GO AMIGO!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
WATTYA MEAN---- " You guys "

To all -- BB is helping us and has become an integral part of the organization. If there is a place for a metrosexual Pirate, you can be assured there is a place for you!!! :lol: :lol:
Jim-
First of all congrats! It says a lot about your organization that the state of Texas has gotten involved.....I'm proud of you! Second of all, I found the place for the metrosexual Pirate last night at a restaurant.....see below!
Attachments
Pirate.JPG
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I didn't think we were going to mention it until we had the Metrosexual Non-GAY Pirate Health Fair and Italian Shoe Extravaganza. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I could not be more proud to be a member of an organization. KASA is the best group of folks out there.
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by blesker »

FISHMAN wrote:I Personally was lucky enough to be a part of the very first event last year and I'm looking forward to many more. I wish I could describe the feeling you get when you're out enjoying the day with these brave young men and women. They're so thankful to just get out of the hospital for the day and forget all of their troubles. They're constantly thanking everyone for letting them come out and enjoy the day kayak fishing, because for most of them It''s something they've never done. My reply was to thank them from all of us" for all of the things they have sacrificed and done for us all.
Amen Fishman - amen.

And - thanks again for helping us help them.

b
brazosbill

Post by brazosbill »

Way to go Guys.

This story has been forwarded to the President of the Outdoor Writers Association of Texas. Maybe it'll get spread around.

Jim - check your email.

Bill
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Everyone who wants to volunteer can email or PM Jim (DD), Ken (blesker) or me and we'll add you to the list of volunteers.

Ken is currently in Scotland impersonating William Wallace and running around in a kilt and speedo and camera. So, if you send him a PM, you'll have to wait 7 hours for it to arrive due to the time zone difference. . :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Barnacle Bill on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasca
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vasca »

BRAVO :clap:
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

Well done Jim et al!

LMK if there is anything I can help with up this way. Maybe we can get together and build some trailers for all those new Yaks.
Northsider
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Northsider »

WTG guys :clap: :clap: