BTB North Padre/Packery Jetties

fishinmachine

BTB North Padre/Packery Jetties

Post by fishinmachine »

Hi all, brand new to the board...WOW!
I'll be down for a week and was considering(wind and waves permitting) yakking out to a nearshore rig from the Packery jetties. Can anyone recommend a good map that shows a few of these rigs or a link to a site with some approximate distances from the beach to a few rigs?
Sound like the water is clearing fast along the beach...hoping a king or ling might be in store...

FM
castnblast
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by castnblast »

I'm new to yaking, but not to fishing that area. most of the rigs are not on the map, but the good thing is all you need to do is drive down the beach. If you can't see it, it's too far to yak to. Go early, let the wind help you w/ the paddle back.

Get chum - any chum. i get mine from the shrimp boats down town CC. chop it up and go.

Another tip - drive down the beach and watch for birds working along the color change. Look for diving pelicans way out, along w/ seagulls. When you see both, you got mak activity. See my post from 6/21. a mannolure w/ 80lb mono spliced w/ a blood knot works wonders.

The shad were working the end of packery this weekend. Breakers were 3-4 ft - there - too rough/dangerous for me. Should be better mid week. Go to bob hall pier when the water clears and try to catch some hard tails aka blue runners for bait, or catch them on a sabiki rig when you get out there. Kings love em. you can also try trolling large Rattle traps. The rigs are pretty much fished out around packery for reef fish, but they do hold other more migratory fish.
kyle1974

Post by kyle1974 »

go to the jetties and look out, you sould be able to see at least one right a little to the north, and another to the south.

the closest one is probably 3 miles offshore. it looks alot closer from the beach.

like fishinmachine said, if you can't see it from land, don't paddle to it.

good luck!
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

FM, I'll be down there from Sunday through friday next week. If you're there during that time let me know. If the surf lays down I'll be paddling off the jettys myself. Company is always welcome.