Concho fish.

Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Concho fish.

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Yesterday evening I went back out to the Middle Concho and didn't even hardly get out. Rudy and Robert weren't there so I went with Karen to the Concho river. I took one crank bait and we headed out for a walk with me stopping to cast from time to time.

Anyhoo, something about blew my lure out of the water. Kicked up in the air enough that the lured fouled on the fishing line. This was right at dark.

So, my question is what kind of fish are in the Concho? I figured the usual catfish, sunfish, small river bass, etc.. Are the LMB and smallies in there?
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

where at on the concho Bill? there are largemouth and smallies in Nasworthy.....I had a couple nibbles when I was out yesterday afternoon, not sure what it was though....
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Right there down by the YMCA. We parked there and were just down by the foot bridge when it hit. It had just gotten dark dark down there so I couldn't see what type of fish it was. It was a crankbait and the fish hit it within a second of it hitting the water.
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

I think they released some bass down there a few years ago, any that weren't caught are probably decently sized now.so there is a possibility that it was a bass of some species.....there are also quite a few gar down there.........

we usually go down by the art museum and through some cat rigs and feed the perch when Caleb wants to fish....can jerk little perch up one after the other down under Oakes Street.....
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

GAR! That would make sense! It was a HUGE splash when he hit it. It surprised Karen and I with how hard it was hit. The lure probably flew 5' up in the air.
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

I watched a few one evening and Hollie was like "I wanna catch one of those"...... :? :shock: I had to explain to her why she really didn't.....LOL!!!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I also had another fish on. I was reeling in and suddenly there was a lot of slack in the line and I was trying to reel in fast enough because whatever fish hit it, was running right at us. LOL
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

the one strike I got yesterday was the same way, whatever it was my spinner wouldn't reel fast enough, and then.........nothing........
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

QuakKillz wrote:the one strike I got yesterday was the same way, whatever it was my spinner wouldn't reel fast enough, and then.........nothing........
I guess we should get out fishing more to hone our skillz... LOL...
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

yea, really, I was using a Rapalla Shad, I may get a "Baby Bass" or a "Holographic Shad" as well
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

QuakKillz wrote:yea, really, I was using a Rapalla Shad, I may get a "Baby Bass" or a "Holographic Shad" as well
I was using a black/silver rattletrap crank bait. It looks like a "shiner"... It's what I caught that catfish on when the Billtanic went down. LOL

It's a GREAT lure for the rivers and lakes.
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

yea, I may even buy that little pack you had......

I did find a little cove yesterday that if the bite would have been on may have produced well, it was only a couple feet deep so only yakers could get back there....I was casting a few times and looked up and there was a doe just looking at me....I casted again and looked up and she had moved on, and then I noticed her again just strolling along over to my right........

I'll show ya next time we go out. and...... I want to hit those lily pads over there by the marina(horseshoe area??) with some sort of weedless lure, or even some live bait.......

the baitfish were moving yesterday some, just not the gamefish.....
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Yeah, that little tackle pack is great. For once, someone who put it together knew what they were doing. LOL

I think a weedless spoon would work great up in that area you're talking about.
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

ya know, in the 20+ years, (since I was a wee fella) that I have fished I have never used spoons....other that the eating with kind LOL.....may have to try it.....
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

For many years, from Sam Rayburn to Inks Lake to the bays and surf on the coast, ALL I used were spoons. I had spoons of ever shape and weight... I literally have caught more fish on them than I can count.... I'm going to pick some up at Academy... I used to restore old corroded spoons for myself and other folks.
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

you may just have to teach me to use them....:)
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Ya know, at lake Belton years and years ago, I had a buddy with me that had never fished.. We bought him a cheapo Shakespeare outfit at Academy and went out there fishing from the bank.... I gave him a spoon and some plastic worms..

That dude landed a 5 lbs Smallmouth...

I was sick...
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

I'll give you the first fish, just show me how to use the spoon....LOL!!!!

never really used plastic works either...... just the plastic minnows, shrimp and frogs...... and I'm not worth a darn with those..... :roll:
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

QuakKillz wrote:I'll give you the first fish, just show me how to use the spoon....LOL!!!!

never really used plastic works either...... just the plastic minnows, shrimp and frogs...... and I'm not worth a darn with those..... :roll:
There are hundreds of ways to work the spoons depending on the shape and size..

We'll go out one day with JUST spoons.. Nothing else and see what happens...
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

cool!....but JUST spoons, what if we need to stab something.....or what if we're done, we wont know if we dont have some forks too......LMAO!!!!!!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, ONLY spoons.. any shape, size/weight but JUST spoons.. You'll see amigo.. It's all about confidence...
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

like standing in the yak??...LOL, which I DID NOT do yesterday, I ain't gonna try it alone with all the pb's around, they may run over me for the heck of it.....LOL!!!!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

QuakKillz wrote:like standing in the yak??...LOL, which I DID NOT do yesterday, I ain't gonna try it alone with all the pb's around, they may run over me for the heck of it.....LOL!!!!
Hey, you did good standing.. No problems.. Learn to stand and ride out the wakes and you'll be fine.. It's all in the hips, knees and ankles... I've ridden out wakes and waves over 3' high...
QuakKillz
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by QuakKillz »

I did fish sidesaddle though, that was pretty cool..... I also learned that when you cast, cast in the wake of the pb's, then you at least have a chance at some strikes when the fishing is slow....thats when I got the two I did

I also got some more fishing holes.....we need to float the South Concho out of Christoval..................... or go to Mertzon and float Spring Creek back towards town.....
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

The best pool on the south concho has had the only good place to put in at blocked off. You can still get to it but its alot of work to get there. Two weeks ago I pulled more then float and over three damms but the fishing was great. Match the right type of spoon up and look out they work QK. If you 2 want to hit the S Concho let me know.
Mike