Inshore Chum?

Marsh Arab

Inshore Chum?

Post by Marsh Arab »

Anyone ever chum? I don't mean offshore, but what about inshore for reds/specks? If so, how do you do it? Does it work?
Reelworld
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reelworld »

I took the time to make a chum dispenser using a perforated gallon milk jug filled with ground croaker. I was fishing at night at a one of my favorite spots thinking the chum would enhance my chances of a good catch. :D Man, did I kill those hardheads! They were everywhere! :cry:
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Don't think it would attract specks directly, mabey reds. The trout may come to all the attracted bait though.

I've chopped up dead shrimp, and combined it with some marsh mud to help me sling it and to sink it.

During the summer it will bring in hordes of piggies, croaker, and tourist trout. You can get enough BTB bait for a whole weekend in an hour or so. I do this over oyster reef and use small barbless hooks w/ fresh dead. I have gotten some nice runs, but they came off, and most of the time the little ones won't let it sit. After a while there will be so many you don't have to cast, just lower bait into water. Slaughter-pole style!

In the winter once the bait stealers are gone, this is a good way to get black drum and sheephead. Chum over oyster reef again.
Scubasteve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Scubasteve »

I placed 2nd in a redfish tourney a couple summers ago, large in part thanks to my own personal chum slick. I'd say it works, just depends on what you had to eat and drink.
ClovisMan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ClovisMan »

Scubasteve wrote:I placed 2nd in a redfish tourney a couple summers ago, large in part thanks to my own personal chum slick. I'd say it works, just depends on what you had to eat and drink.
NICE :shock:
waterman69

Can't resist this one

Post by waterman69 »

Don't laugh at this now. Fresh chopped up lady fish will draw reds in from a long way off. Don't ask me why they like it but they do. It leaves a noticiable, bloody slick in the water. Tried the shrimp thing once. Reelworld is right...hardhead feeding frenzy!
sherwood

Re: Can't resist this one

Post by sherwood »

waterman69 wrote:Don't laugh at this now. Fresh chopped up lady fish will draw reds in from a long way off. Don't ask me why they like it but they do. It leaves a noticiable, bloody slick in the water. Tried the shrimp thing once. Reelworld is right...hardhead feeding frenzy!
Watch out for the sharks :lol: