Is there an interest in a fly fishing class in Dallas area

freefl2

Is there an interest in a fly fishing class in Dallas area

Post by freefl2 »

I have been considering finding someone in the Dallas area that is a certified FFF instructor to give some casting instruction to a small group of kayak flyfishermen. I would first have to know how many would be interested. I was hoping an instructor would make us a deal for about a 2-3 hour class for about $20-25 an hour per person? So the class would be $40-60 bucks per person! Anyone with experience in setting these up?
Thanks Dave
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Dave
Get in touch with Barry's Dad (no relation), he's your man!!!!!!! He's a hell of a good instructor and works a lot with various TKF groups. Just send him a PM and he'll get back to you.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Barry's Dad (Al Crise) did a seminar for us in Austin. Everyone gave positive feedback. I highly recommend him and he is affordable.
freefl2

I have been in contact with Al

Post by freefl2 »

Al actually is the first instructor I had in mind and have been in contact with him, hopefully there will be more interest or I will have to just pick his brain one on one and that isn't a bad thing in my book either lol.
FlyOnTheWater

Post by FlyOnTheWater »

freefl2,

Yes, I can use alot of casting instructions! :shock:

I hear Al might (big might, depending on his job) be at the Fort Worth Fly Fisher's meeting the first Tuesday in May giving instructions. I was told that last night. They are having an event on their next meeting with casting instructions. That is enough to get me to join up! :wink:

I know you are located farther east of Cowtown, but something to think about! I also know there is a Dallas Fly Fishers Org. also. Dave from Blue Heron in Colleyville has told me about that group of folks.

So, I think there is casting instructions going on already and that is why you are not getting a big response. Also, I am not to sure how many Fly/Yaker's are in the DFW area that hang out on this board!

And wouldn't you know it, the weekend is coming up and they are calling for a Northern to blow through and rain all day Saturday. Starting to get hard to find a weekend with no rain, wind or high pressure system. I might have to be sick next week just so I can try out my yaks and give the long rod a whirl! :roll:
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

FOTW
The casting clinic that the club (FWFF) has a couple of times a year is usually a good one.
We have at least 2 (maybe more) FFF certified casting instructors as well as quite a few excellent casters as members that are more than willing to share their knowledge, and will work with you on your casting. And you can’t beat the price. It’s free to all, members and non-members. I’ve been a member for 8 or 9 years and still think that they’re a great group. You'll also be able to meet quite a few members that frequent this Site. Come on over to the meeting and judge for yourself.
jklepomis

Post by jklepomis »

Try talking to these guys at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/northtexasflycasting/

or join their email list at

northtexasflycasting-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

I know most of these guys from other lists including this one. A bunch of nice guys who meet once a month (this saturday, I believe) to work on their casting skills up in Richardson. Too far for me, but I lurk for some very good discussions on technique.
Barry's Dad

FWFF Casting

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy Gang,
The Ft. Worth Fly Fishers Casting Clinic is the 7 of June. Free
The meeting are the first Tuesday of the month.
North Texas Fly Caster meet the 4th Saturday of the month. YOU can tell because it will blow and be rainy or cold. burgers & clinic about $10.

As for lesson I am often open to do some class lesson just have to plan a little bit in advance. This month I am on nightshift at the Nuke Plant.
May should end this refueling that we are doing. It is also when I take a little break and run to the SE Conlcave in Gulf Shores AL.
After that I will be open for lesson and classes. about $50.00 per hour up to 4 people more than that we can do some talking.

Contact me at flysoup@itexas.net

ol Al
FlyOnTheWater

Post by FlyOnTheWater »

Barry's Dad & Barry,

Thanks for the great info on FWFF info. I tye with Stephen W. (FWFF Board for Programs) most Wednesday nights in Colleyville. He always has good things to say!

Now I see why it is going to rain and blow from the North on Saturday... :cry:

jklepomis,

Thanks for the web sites and other info.