Ferrules sticking together

Salty Ag

Ferrules sticking together

Post by Salty Ag »

I have a very nice 4 piece flyrod that is sweet to cast. But I seldom use it because the ferrules stick together so bad i'm afraid i'm going to damage some of the guides when taking the sections apart. Do any of you have suggestions on how to help this situation? I have heard that paraffin works pretty well. This may be a dumb question but, I read this in a flyfishing magazine that was trying to sell a prepackaged tube. Are they selling the same thing you can pick up at any craft store or is there a difference?
freefl2

Use unscented candle

Post by freefl2 »

Those little white tea (unscented) candles work great, throw one in a small ziplock and store it in your tacklebox or vest. MAKE sure to use a baggy it may melt in hot weather and you wouldn't want that on your vest or carpet.

YES it helps a bunch, not only keeps them from sticking together it also helps them not come apart as easy during casting, it also makes a better fit, and it will save wear on the joining rod parts too.
Dave Speer

Post by Dave Speer »

Wash your rod with warm soap and water real good and rinse the inside of the female ferrules. Let it get dry, like overnight, pick up the pieces and shake a bit to get excess water out of the female side. Then rub a cheap candle on the male part. If you're superstitious, choose a nice scented candle. Not a floral scent, mind you, or we might question your manhood :D

It sure helps keep sand and grit from tearing the ferrules apart. Or avoid that fingernails-on-chalkboard when you get some sand in the ferrules ;)
wilded

Post by wilded »

Just rub the male part along the side of your nose before you put them together. :shock:
Salty Ag

Post by Salty Ag »

I'll try the tea candles, my wife has a ton of them around the house.
wilded wrote: rub the male part along the side of your nose :shock:
:oops:
YOU CAN DO THAT!?!?

Thanks for the info. guys. All my other rods are two pieces and I've never had to worry about the ferrules sticking together.

Post by Guest »

Let's see if you remember to take candles on a fishing trip. Then you will remember that you can use the oil on the side of your nose. Betcha! :D
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

I can't say for sure, since I just bought it, but Renzetti has a solution to apply to the male ends of the ferrules that is supposed to prevent sticking.
The candles work well. I have piece I keep in my possibles kit, but you need to keep it in a zip loc bag. They will make a mess in the heat of the summer.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

The dry lubes (that go on wet) are as good as you can get. Anything that you put on there which is oil-based will collect dirt/sand.

When putting the rod together, join the sections snugly (but not tightly), then twist them into alignment. This will also cause the sections to tighten. If you cant twist the section, you're already too tight. Back it off try again. When disassembling the rod, twist in the opposite direction, with slight pressure pulling away from each section.

The only ferrules I've ever had to stick were the nickel-silver ones on bamboo rods. You cant twist those.

M-D
Hojo

Post by Hojo »

One trick that Rick Pope of TFO showed me is to buy a section of rubber shelf liner at any WalMart (almost looks like a rubber mesh) and cut two pieces. Then use these to hold onto the rod as you twist the ferrels apart. This saves you from having to a torque on the stripping guides, and gives a much improved grip esp. when your hands might be wet. Stores easily, and cheap too.
Hojo

Post by Hojo »

One trick that Rick Pope of TFO showed me is to buy a section of rubber shelf liner at any WalMart (almost looks like a rubber mesh) and cut two pieces. Then use these to hold onto the rod as you twist the ferrels apart. This saves you from having to a torque on the stripping guides, and gives a much improved grip esp. when your hands might be wet. Stores easily, and cheap too.
Salty Ag

Post by Salty Ag »

M-D wrote:The dry lubes (that go on wet) are as good as you can get.
M-D

M-D

Are you refering to a silicone type substance?
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

I have a liquid graphite that goes on wet and when dry lasts a long time and won't wash off. Doesn't collect dust or sand.
I usually use the candle method though because it is so easy. I just carry a little birthday candle in my fly vest or possibles bag (zip locked up). A couple of wipes on the male ferrule is all that is needed. If you have a very old rod that has some wear and tear on the ferrules this works really well to help the connection tight, you don't have to use alot of candle wax. Whatever you decide, do not try to use liquid oil of any kind. Could find yourself with ferrules very stuck together from vacuum seal. I've used the candle for over 30 years and it works great.

fishin'
Westex

Post by Westex »

I've had similar problems. Easy fix. Get some Playtex gloves! The gloves give you a grip on the rod so you can gently take it apart. Keep glove in vest. Wax helps some too, but remember wax will pick up trash that can grind into the rod. Hunter
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

when the wax gets a little gritty, just run the section under some warm tap water. It will melt the way and you can rinse the grit away.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Are you refering to a silicone type substance?

No. Look at the Trondak U40 Ferrule Lube.

M-D
Salty Ag

Post by Salty Ag »

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'll try out some of these tips after work this evening.
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>°{ . N 29.45.24 W 95.21.19

Post by Spuds (Piscator Eximius) »

My dad showed me a little trick for getting stuck ferrules apart, back when rods were fiberglass and ferules were metal.

This is best done while standing up. Place the rod against the back of your legs in the bend of your knees, with the stuck ferrule centered between your legs. Grab the rod with each hand outside of your legs, but with each hand tight against the outside of your knees. While grasping the rod firmly, use your legs to push outward and also pushes your hands outward, separating the rod.

This allows you a controlled, straight pull. I have yet to come across a stuck ferrule that I can't easily free up this way.
freefl2

You hit the nail on the head spud

Post by freefl2 »

I will attest, that arms on each side of the leg is the oldest trick in my arsenal it works from fly rods to tent poles to paint roller extension rods. However the best advise is not to get them to the point that they stick in the first place. :D