Post by late start »

Talk about a potential sleigh ride....

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/photo ... &picture=1

click next to see the pictures.

I think the notion of catch and release would be reversed. :shock:
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Who wants to catch this from a kayak?

Post by TexaRican »

late start wrote: I think the notion of catch and release would be reversed. :shock:
I wish it would have been catch and release. I just don't understand killing a fish like that for the sake of a picture or record.
LC yakr

Post by LC yakr »

Yea...I have seen these pics before and truly disappointing not to release...
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

I would, but wouldn't be trying to pull it into the yak 8)
Toolman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Toolman »

Ditto on catch a release.....
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by My Fishing Buddy »

Think I would have been satisfied with photos or the tail and snout and released it.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

To answer the question, no, no no heck no oh no, never uh uh, forget it.
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

yeah, this dumb azz killed this pregnant female about 45min south of my house. I mean really, how long does it take for a fish to get that big? Not many of those sized sharks around anymore, thanks to morons like this guy. No reason to kill a mature Great Hammer like that!

Big sharks aggrigate to that area to eat tarpon. You can see them in the water, especially if you hook a poon. You can site cast to them. Believe me, this was no great acomplishment.
Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Perm »

that is sad
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Not getting into the killing aspect...

how bright does the guy have to be to pull on the shark's head to get it into the boat.

Even dead, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that end of the shark.....

Ok now i want you to pull the shark head first onto the corner of the boat almost sumberged by water. go get em little fella!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I agree about CP&R.......I just don't understand why people have to kill big fish.......like said above........how long did it take for them to attain that size. What a wase!
Iquest4fish

Post by Iquest4fish »

I just don't understand it. :cry: :(
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Shark Nazi and proud

Post by TexasSurfFisherman »

Oh big man pounds chest hear me roar. That hammer pound for pound is one the hardest fighting fish in the shark family.

Catch and release does wonders for your inner peace also. Nothing better seeing a fish swim away after the fight.

Takes a big man to kill a fish that size just because his man power got swollen for a minute.

Shark Nazi for life!!!!!
sherwood

Post by sherwood »

Considering it's a hammer, maybe it didn't survive the fight. If you felt a freight train on the end of your line, wouldn't you try your best to fight it in to get a glimpse of it? At that point, it might've been too late for the shark?

Don't know, just playing devil's advocate.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

We don't have the REST of the story...so tough to pass judgement.

We tend to fish in a method that is most beneficial to releasing fish healthy, but every once in a while one just doesn't make it.

Most of the BTB guys practice C,P&R as I do....unless its a tasty fish.

Here's to a fantastic 2008!
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

those sharks are awesome. Last august I was snorkeling off of smathers beach in Key West Florida in about 3 feet of water and a 4-5 foot hammerhead swam about by me about 15-20 feet away from me. My little sister was next to me and climbed on my back! I was basically in shock that I got to see one of these beautiful sharks in the wild. He didnt even acknowledge that I was there even though the water is crystal clear. But a hammerhead of the size in the picture would scare the crap out of me!!!
Bighead

Post by Bighead »

Pepperfool wrote:I wish it would have been catch and release. I just don't understand killing a fish like that for the sake of a picture or record.
QFT.

Bighead
ShotMagnet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Westhiemer and Sam Houston TW; Channel 69 on VHF; "THE DUDE ABIDES" "NICE MARMOT&

Post by ShotMagnet »

I am thinking they got a ride in the boat they where in ;)
dt4539

Post by dt4539 »

Agree - they should C & R that shark - a picture should be more than enough a trophy
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

I have only seen a few pics of hammers caught from a kayak. One of any size would be one hell of a fight.

The large one in the pic is a monster. I remember when the pics and story hit the shark boards. Lot of pissed of people because it was not released. Good to see more people starting to understadn that large sharks popultion are in trouble.

That shark was given to science, and the angler had a large report. It was published in a number of magizines, few of the were ones I get. He also worte up a detailed report on some message baords. From what I remember he said they catch and release 99% of the time. Thus shark in question had just took a few tarpon from a few boats in the area. They decided to catch it, I do not recall if they wanted to catch it to keep it away from the tarpons. Or if they knew it was large wnough for a record. Either way not uncommon for a few shark fishermen to be in amoung the tarpon fishermen in Florida.

I happened to die during the fight, this was due to the small boat there were in. And the nature of hammer heads.

It needs to be understood by any of us that like to catch sharks. That some will die during the fight. This is true for many game fish. Hammer heads tend to be the sharks that die most often during the fight, but it can happen to any species of shark. This is the chance we take when fishing for any fish.
DesertDog11B
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by DesertDog11B »

As much as I love to catch sharks, I would of definitely practiced C&R with that one. What a waste of a magnificent specimen. I understand that some fish die during the struggle, but I would rather take a couple of pics and then cut the line rather than to reel it in! :cry:
Some Beach

Post by Some Beach »

I looked at the pictures before reading the replies on this thread. After about the 3rd picture I started thinking, why in the world are they pulling this hammerhead into their boat? Each pic was worse until the last pic of the shark on land. Then I read the replies here and was relieved all of you felt the same as I did.