Matagorda East Bay Wednesday 6/27/07

Ranch Hand
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Matagorda East Bay Wednesday 6/27/07

Post by Ranch Hand »

Caught live finger mullet at the new beach access road on my way to put in and kept a bubbler on them in flo-trol in the tank well of my T-140.
Launched at Rawlins Cut about 5 PM, paddled into East Bay, and set up at the mouth of one of the channels feeding into the wetlands. A beautiful afternoon with moderate wind, water was fairly clear. Much better than I expected it to be.

Anchored up with a 2 kilo claw anchor clipped amidship so I could cast mullet downwind into the 3' deep channel while sitting sidesaddle.

Caught a blacktip shark on the first cast with mullet under a popping cork. So much for my concerns about too much fresh water runoff. Had a run of large hardheads under the popping cork that acted like redfish :shock:

Caught a 22" trout on a 9" or 10" cigar minnow hooked through the lips on the carolina rig that gave some good aerials about 6PM. This was followed by a 20" flounder around 6:30 on the same rig but with a larger finger mullet. One more blacktip before I ran out of mullet. Nice evening on the water.

What kind of a slam is it when you catch a flounder, trout and shark?
Attachments
22" Spec & 20" Flounder
22" Spec & 20" Flounder
~BUCKSHOT~
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ~BUCKSHOT~ »

nice catch, makes for fun afternoon on the water
jpbpro

Post by jpbpro »

Great to hear that the east bay is in good condition. I'm there all next week. Thanks for the report!
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasGringo »

First report i've seen of sharks caught in E. Matty this year. I know they are there but they are pretty elusive unlike most other bays. Been wading/fishing there for several years and have never caught or seen one, even near Mitchells.
Ranch Hand
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ranch Hand »

Gringo wrote:First report i've seen of sharks caught in E. Matty this year. I know they are there but they are pretty elusive unlike most other bays. Been wading/fishing there for several years and have never caught or seen one, even near Mitchells.
I was a bit surprised that it was all the way up in this end of the bay. They were about 2' long.

Funny (but predictable) thing happened when I caught the 2nd one. There was still a piece of mullet on the hook and was barely hanging in the water while I stringered (strung?) the flounder. He came up and snatched it. Luckily, I kept my wits and the flounder 8)