Attn Humminbird users no more transducer problems

vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Attn Humminbird users no more transducer problems

Post by vincent »

Humminbird has come out with a plastic thru hull transducer that is the perfect solution for kayakers. I've been using one now for about 6 months and love it. No more sealant all over the inside of your yak..no more screws...brackets..holes to put a transdcuer on your yak that might or might not work when you need it...it works with most all models all the way down to the Pirana series...you put the threaded shaft thru one of the scupper holes and tighten down a nylon nut and your done...perfect reading every time..cost is around 79.00..you can now buy them online.

Iquest4fish

Post by Iquest4fish »

Hey!!! Thanks for the update!
I was going to get another Humminbird F.F. with the GPS and everything.
Wonder if they will exchange the transducer a Unit comes with for the thru hull.
Guess you would have to mail it in to them for the exchange.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

V,

I don't think I got a clear picture of this new transducer........what I am envisioning is it being attached below the hull of the kayak and should you run aground, paddle into the beach or hit anything under your yak (shell, logs or whatever), you stand a chance of damaging it.

What exactly am I missing here???
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Nope..the keel of the yak will drag before the td..only when on shore you might want to pick it up a little ..yaks tend to roll over on their side when you're draggin them...the transducer exchange program that humminbird has should exchange the puck for this model.

vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Now if you have a prowler or big game they have a recessed scupper hole specially for this unit...the td itself is incased in a pretty large housing..most of the scratches I have on mine came while putting it on or taking it off in the parking lot.

vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

PS...my caper is the only kayak I have that this wont fit thru the scupper hole..it's a 1" threaded post...I know this cause I lost the nut at matagorda a couple weeks ago and replaced it from bering hardware.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Not all yaks have that same type of bottom. With a Malibu Extreme the bottom is flat. However, since it is a city block long, while the front is beached the part with the transducer could still be in some deep water.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

you could also mount it thru the scupper in the tank well..the bow will hit anything before the td does..
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Thanks for the info, Vincent!
shawn

Post by shawn »

i have 1 problem with this.. now if i used 1 of these my prowler wouldn't drain on the side that is plugged up with the transducer therefore leaving me sitting in water. thanks for the heads up vincent but i think i'll stick with my shoot through the hull transducer.

now if they could come up with a trasducer that wouldn't plug up the scupper and still let it drain i'd be all over that
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Put it in the tank well then...I never really noticed any additional water tue to having it in...it still drains.....I've had every type of inside the hatch transducer mount ever invented...3M sealant...1 yr is the longest I've ever had this last without eventually becoming brittle and failing.and the seal doesn't always work..the higher end units are more sensitive and about 1 in 4 mounts work correctly..the other have to be scraped up and redone to keep the air out...also if you keep the transducer in the hatch the plug end will eventually corrode and you'll loose the transducer...spray corrosion X on the plug and it will eat the rubber and the plug falls apart.I replaced 2 of these on my old Eagle..or you'll drop the yak and the jolt will bust the transducer loose...I've had 3" drain pipe method...vasoline..etc..never stayed where I wanted it...my yaks are all over the place...right side up..maybe not..this also had a high failure rate and inaccurate readings....all of these methods prevented the thermocline readings on the unit..or had some other miscmmings...this transducer allows you to switch it between kayaks..and has never failed..
shawn

Post by shawn »

hmm didn't think to put it in the tank well but then you have wires running all over your boat. how did you prevent tearing up your wiring?

so far i've had really good luck with silicone based marine goop. it has held it secure for about 5 months now and is still plyable. but my depth readings so far are always a little bit off which is easily fixed by changing the readings in the unit itself. my temp readings have always been fairly accurate considering it's reading surface temp of the water.

i think the main thing is buying a quality unit. i bought a humminbird matrix 17 for $180 and so far haven't regretted my choice yet
Iquest4fish

Post by Iquest4fish »

Shawn, I've used that Matrix 17 before with GPS added and it
is a darn good F.F. But don't turtle in it! :cry: I'm with Vincent on
nothing holds the transducer on the inside long or wrong readings.
I have had all the same problems that Vincent said.
Di-electric grease works for the corrosion, but use everytime you
unplug. But I like my transducer as far forward as possible,
See what's coming up I guess, and I have a problem with the wire,
Is it in the way?
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

with the foot well mount the wires don't get in the way..but I have short legs... :D but from the pic you can see very little wiring in the cockpit...as far as putting it in the tank well..the only wire you have coming forward is the transducer wire itself..you can run it under the back of the seat and up the center of the cockpit to the transducer..not a perfect scenario..but it will work..
lonerangerxlt

Post by lonerangerxlt »

can someone post a link to where you can purchase online? also is it adjustible to differnt scupper hole sizes?
MachX

Post by MachX »

I have a Matrix 37 that was on my boat... I was about to sell it and buy something else for the kayak. Now I am thinking I will just buy one of these transducers for it.

I looked online at www.humminbird.com to find what model I needed, but then I looked online and found it cheaper. www.froogle.com is great for that.

Thanks for sharing the info Vincent!

Darren
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

http://www.humminbird.com/retail/produc ... e%5Ftest=1

Model XTH-9-20-P will fit most Humminbirds..the post is a 1" threaded post not adjustable..just the nut..

Called Plastic Thru Transducer

http://www.humminbird.com/normal.asp?ID=799#plastic
YakAttak

Post by YakAttak »

This is very timely - my transducer just came off in my prowler 13. Guess I'll exchange / buy this weekend....

Thanks!!
TxRedbeard

Post by TxRedbeard »

Thanks vincent!

This answers a question I posted a month ago: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?t=67102

The folks at the OK support line didn't know much about this when I spoke to them back then, and it also wasn't listed on their website. Did this just come out or is OK just doing a very poor job of getting the word out on this great idea?

Now my only remaining question for a fishfinder is which humminbird model to buy so I can take advantage of this! I'm looking at the PiranhaMAX 215 and 220 because they seem about the right size for a yak. I will be fishing 95% of the time in freshwater if that makes a difference. Any thoughts on whether the 220 would be worth the extra $25 (the 215 is $10 cheaper, plus a $15 rebate)? From what I can tell, the only difference between the two is better screen resolution, and dual beam vs single beam.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Did this just come out
Yes it just came out to the public...I had a similar problem at the beginning of the year..it took several calls and the use of my contacts at Johnson outdoors to get one..even then they didn't know how much they were going to charge to purchase one..but they are available now for retail.
gyoung

30 ft of cable

Post by gyoung »

Yeah.. this just sucks...

I broke down and bought my suction cup transducer and recieved it 2 day's before the lake raven tournament this year. I couldn't help my self and just bought a second transducer to give me better clairity and range on the depthfinder (again another suction cup). Now I have wires coming out my ears and to suction cups hanging of my yak. Suction cups work great and you won't hear me complain.... it's just that I like what you are showing vincent and I hate Hummingbird for making these available for so late (I spent roughly $200 on both these transducers and a little pissed that these are now available). My cobra does have the slots for these and it would have been ideal..

maybe I'll send them hate mail and see if they will exchange what I purchased (even though I've used them). Odds are not in my favor though (maybe I'll consider buying some in a few years.

But bigger question for all of you ... what do you do with your 30ft of cable???

G
TxRedbeard

Post by TxRedbeard »

I called Humminbird today and the rep I spoke with wasn't familliar with the fact that these transducers are designed to work with kayaks (Bass Pro wasn't either). However, they did say that if you buy a new FF you can exchange the standard transom mount TD for the one listed above and only pay the difference in price (so long as the TD is unused). I'm going to buy a PiranhaMAX 215 and then swap out the TD for $20. I was incorrect in my post above. Both the 215 and the 220 have dual beam sonar, so the only difference is the screen resolution.
Nickk

Post by Nickk »

TxRedbeard wrote:I called Humminbird today and the rep I spoke with wasn't familliar with the fact that these transducers are designed to work with kayaks (Bass Pro wasn't either). However, they did say that if you buy a new FF you can exchange the standard transom mount TD for the one listed above and only pay the difference in price (so long as the TD is unused). I'm going to buy a PiranhaMAX 215 and then swap out the TD for $20. I was incorrect in my post above. Both the 215 and the 220 have dual beam sonar, so the only difference is the screen resolution.

Cool! I'm about to pull the trigger on a 215 but the $79.00 that would nearly double price; this is a perfect solution!
fishingw/f.o.c.

Post by fishingw/f.o.c. »

would this work for a king fish.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

how big are the scupper holes on the kingfish..the thread on the transducer post holds a 1" nut....