Question about tandems

hoopag

Question about tandems

Post by hoopag »

Which tandem do you guys and gals think is the best for both two people as well as solo for fishing? I had decided on getting an X-Factor to take my son along, but now I'm thinking maybe a tandem that I could also paddle myself. Any suggestions?
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

Don't do it. Some people make due, but consider what it would be like to fish in someone else's lap. Go with solos and then you can be on the water together and still explore on your own.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

The problem with tandem yaks is usually, one person wants to paddle to an area where the other one doesn't. Also, it's easier to paddle if both yakkers are syncronized with their paddle strokes. Just my opinion, but two solo yaks are better than one tandem yak with two people in the mix.
Kenner21

question

Post by Kenner21 »

I'm going to piggy back my tandem question onto this thread, I'm looking to buy a kayak for fishing bays,lakes and the surf when its calm. My girlfriend wants us to get a tandem so she we can take it out together occasionly but I want something I can use use solo for some pretty hardcore fishing. She's already told me she doesn't think she can handle one by herself ?????? And that she just wants us to get 1 kayak. I know this is a tall order just wondering if any kayak might fit the bill. Thanks in advance ..

nate
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Get a new girlfriend. It's cheaper.
ShotMagnet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Westhiemer and Sam Houston TW; Channel 69 on VHF; "THE DUDE ABIDES" "NICE MARMOT&

Post by ShotMagnet »

Electric Water Boy wrote:Get a new girlfriend. It's cheaper.

dang that was raw..... true but raw
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Yeah, I wondered about posting that. But I figured someone else would sooner or later.

Before you give up on the idea of her getting her own (which most everyone here will agree would be the thing to do), take her to a demo where she can paddle a bunch of them. Then when she finds one she likes, rent it for a day. She'll find she can handle it fine. She'll like the independence. It'll build her confidence in herself. Much cheaper than than therapy and/or divorce court.
Kenner21

Post by Kenner21 »

Thanks for the advice I'll see if I can demo a few different models and see which ones are the most comfortable, dry etc.

nate
brazman

Post by brazman »

A canoe is another option for two people...
Yakity Yak

Post by Yakity Yak »

If both people are fishing out of a tandum then watch your casting!
I have paddled both. Tandums really move! If you want to go fast and both agree on where to go, then in a tandum you will fly. If you do not agree, then a tandum will seem like a bad idea. The Cobra Fish and Dive was based on their tandum design but I found it very hard to paddle solo into the wind, so I sold it. I feel any kayak designed to be both tandum and solo would compromise both to much to be worth it. I would love to have a tandum as an extra kayak but not as my only kayak.
Tim
PlanoDano

Post by PlanoDano »

I recently purchased a Loon 160T for the times I want to go out with my daughter. I also paddle a Speck. The Loon is a Sink but the large cockpit makes it fish more like a sot. I believe it is a little faster than my Speck when paddled solo. The main disadvantage is size and weight when loading and unloading. This model is discontinued and replaced by a 15 ft. model which I cannot comment on.
Skinnyfeet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Skinnyfeet »

Tandems are called "divorce boats" for good reason.... think it over long and hard before you decide :? .
hoopag

Post by hoopag »

I guess I should rephrase my question.
My son is 3 and won't be paddling. Would a tandem be any better or worse than an X with a gator hatch? I would be paddling, and my son would be along for the ride.
hoopag

Post by hoopag »

I guess I should rephrase my question.
My son is 3 and won't be paddling. Would a tandem be any better or worse than an X with a gator hatch? I would be paddling, and my son would be along for the ride.
Skinnyfeet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Skinnyfeet »

Since an X is designed as a single, I'd say that it would be the better choice. Tandems are designed as tandems, even if they have a center seat for solo paddling.

Another thing to think about is stability; the X is going to be WAY more stable and more comfortable than any tandem (the ones that I have paddled anyway), which equates to a safer ride for your son.

We were about 3 miles offshore in California a few months back, and ran into a man and his 5 year old son fishing for yellowtail out of his X (the little guy was in the gator seat). I doubt seriously that you would want to try that or anything similar in a tandem ........ even one of ours (I work for Malibu :wink: ).

I'd go with the X .......
jharry3

Post by jharry3 »

Native makes Sit inside tandems in 14' and 16'.
I looked at the 14' at FTU. Don't quote me but I think it was around $900.

It reminds me a whole lot of the 14' pirogue my dad and I used to fish in circa 1969 down in the real bayous. (no one will ever convince me Buffalo Bayou is a "real" Bayou)

The Native Tandem is fancier and has bucket seats + costs a whole lot more than that fiberglas pirogue did in 1968 :D
There is room in a boat of this size for two to fish if one person is in charge. :lol:

We never had any arguments over where to fish either.

He steered and I, unlike modern children, did what he told me, and said "yes sir". 8)
Brizzonator

Post by Brizzonator »

I've got an OK Sidekick and I've take my sons paddling a few times(note that this is not a "holy cow, look what a stingy father I am" I haven't been out in it that much(been busy, but things are looking up), and they've been with me maybe 70% of the times I've been out). I love it, but admittedly have almost no experience in other kayaks, so can't honestly give you a comparison. I think pretty soon that I am going to get a second solo that is speedier, the sidekick doesn't seem slow, but I'd like to have the option to go faster, and my oldest son just turned 10, by next year, I predict he will be paddling his own.
The one drawback I can honestly say I've noticed about the sidekick is that there is no below deck storage, other than a tiny little hatch, that you literally have to be Hercules to open while you are on the water and that a) doesn't hold much, a wallet, keys and a cell phone is stretching it, and b) doesn't do a great job of being watertight. I'm thinking of making it the mounting place for a transducer when I get a fish/depth finder. Also the tankwell is pretty hard to fit, due to it being an additional place for a child to sit, and the adult seat that comes with it is carp.
But I would still give it high marks, and my sons enjoy the heck out of it.:)
hoopag

Post by hoopag »

i hear ya jharry. i teach 8th graders and the whole "doing as you are asked" thing is definitely not the norm in today's society. anyway, thanks for the help guys. i will probably stick with my original plan of the X. now i've just got to decide whether to go new or used. this kayaking "thing" sure does involve alot of decision making.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

hoopag wrote:I guess I should rephrase my question.

With my limited experience I'd say the X will get you what you want.

I have the pro explorer and was debating on buying the gator hatch for my 4 year old son. So to test the theory out I removed the front hatch and set him down in it and off we went (calm water). Things went without a hitch and he started complaining I was going "too fast" lol. He was ready to go home and get the "big boat (pb)" rather quickly so he saved me ~$150.00 right there.

What I'm getting at is my 12'6" Malibu felt just fine with my 40# 4 yo son up front so I'd bet the X-factor would feel even better. Still stable as anything.
Matt2
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matt2 »

I have an X factor for the very same reason you want one. It is a second yak for me, and I can haul my 8 y.o. and my 5 y.o. at the same time one in the TW and the little one on thr gator hatch. They can jerk perch all day, move around, and the X never has felt tippy. Try one, it is big, but it is a fine yak.

Matt