a good place to cath crappie

jsharp

a good place to cath crappie

Post by jsharp »

im looking for a good place to catch crappie around the dallas area or around san angelo or austin even thanks alot for the help
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

Try Granger Lake, near Austin. Great Crappie lake. In April when they spawn you can catch them right next to the bank, near brush. The same can be said for just about any lake in Texas. Right now they will be deep and hard to find, unless you know where some suken brush piles are.
pmed8

Post by pmed8 »

lake LBJ aroung marble falls. we kill the crappie there on minnows.
Bendbackshrimp

Post by Bendbackshrimp »

If you're willing to go 1 hr east of DFW, Lake coffee mill, small lake, same color as coffee or chocolate bay. Look for the brushpiles on the east side.
Spring is good there.
xXx

Post by xXx »

Around Dallas you can go up to lake Lewisville and fish around the Marina on the West side of the lake. It is surrounded by tires as a break that usually hold crappie in the winter. Several of the boat slips have Christmas trees sunk up at the front of the slip that always hold fish. Knowing which one means you have to make nice with the locals.
jsharp

Post by jsharp »

bendbackshrimp wrote:If you're willing to go 1 hr east of DFW, Lake coffee mill, small lake, same color as coffee or chocolate bay. Look for the brushpiles on the east side.
Spring is good there.

wher is lake coffe mill at excatly i have neverheard of this lake let me know sounds like a lot of fun to try out
Imaexpat2

Post by Imaexpat2 »

I second XXX, I have a slip there that I use my Kayak from and absolutely pounded the Crappie last year from late Feb all the way through April Limiting out daily (any that werent obviously over 12 inches was tossed back) and often ended up having to chase the SandBass under the flood lights around the marina. A majority of the docks there have brush under them much to the disappointment of Lake View Marina management and fish are stacked up under these docks like sardines in a can! Several areas along the marina backs have rock piles dumped down the sides of the embankment and Crappie will stack up here too as the water warms up and the spawn goes into full swing.

Unfortunately unless you have a slip there the Marina personnel will more than likely run you off unless its during day light hours and you purchase a "pass" from them for the day at a cost of 5.00. Then you cant fish within 50ft of any dock or marina structure and that pretty much takes you out of the game. They have security there after hours and they are quiet the Nazi's unless you got a slip there. There is a boat ramp there but its for marina use only and locked. Without a slip your best bet is with a Kayak. Park your car adjacent to the marina property and launch your yak' there and paddle over to some of the areas between shore and the dock and you can pick up some action here in a couple of weeks.

Last year minnows worked great about 24 inches under a bobber just off the bank near rocks or brush. If your a jig fan the hot ticket was a 1/8th ounce Red Head jig with a black body and chartruse marabou tail or a rubber paddle tail grub in the same color pattern. While they did hit other colors this one color was by far the most consistent producer until the water got hot.

At the moment Im picking up spares here and there more by chance than choice as Im still pounding the Sandies. The Crappie action is still a good 10-14 days out from now before things start picking up with some regularity.