First Yak Pro's and Con's

mperk

First Yak Pro's and Con's

Post by mperk »

I have narrowed my choice down to 4 yaks (will be fishing mostly around the bays of PA) OK Prowler 13, OK Prowler Big Game, WS 140 or LL Manta Ray. Like different things about each one the Big Game seems to be the barge of the 3 but very stable. Should I go with or without rudder?Can you guys & gals give me some feedback, positive/negative and things I might consider before making my decision :?:
Wiredhernandez

Post by Wiredhernandez »

A rudder only really benefits when drift fishing or if its really windy and saves you paddle correction strokes. Try without then upgrade if you need or get a used one which is included. I have had both and "generally" prefer no rudder...
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

The Prowler Big Game is the barge as you say, and for that reason is the most stable. And because of that it is also the slowest. That's no big deal if you're paddling only a few miles a day, but if you're doing any long distance paddling, or if you're with buddies going a good distance to your first spot to fish you'll get left behind.

It is a dry yak. At 230# I had no water coming in it at all.

It did seem to flex a bit vertically, but I don't believe that is a problem or concern. Just something I wasn't used to.

Has a nice feature if you're going to add a fishfinder. That storage tray up front is cool. Don't know how neccessary, but cool because it gets the battery off the floor and leaves the whole length of the floor for putting in rods.

I have very limited experience with the Prowler 13 and the Tarpon 140 and I haven't seen a LL Manta Ray yet.

Paddle them all (even others if you haven't done that), then buy one.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

The LL Manta Rays are the only boats I really fish out of anymore, I have used just about every boat out there and haven't found anything close to the Mantas. They are super dry, fast and stable and the seat is one of the most comfortable ones on the market. I used it yesterday at the S&S and stayed dry all day long. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions or feel free to stop by and see the shop.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Tro-Trout

rudder

Post by Tro-Trout »

I have taken the tarpoon 140 out before and did'nt have that many issues in tracking and it was my first time paddleing.I also paddled the marquesa and actually in my opion traks a little better and dosent cost as much.I got mine on sale at ftu.
c_bkayak

kayak choice

Post by c_bkayak »

All are great choices but the real question is you. What are you going to use it for? What is your build? Are you going to be the only user? Storage? Transportaion? Where are you going to paddle the most? What is your experience?
Test every kayak you can even some not on your list if avalible. GET PADDLE SPORT INSTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every one of the models you mention have a waring label telling you to get it. rely on your opion the most. Lost of people will tell the best boat to buy, truth is there is not one!!!! It is all up to you to make that choice. I am a kayak instructor and have been kayakfishing for over 30 years. I use different models for different waters because I have severel models(lucky me) :D . If you are ever in the Aransas Pass area feel free to give me a call and I will be happy to help you in any way I can.(361)537-8668
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

Ive only used a rudder once, but I would say learn how to paddle correctly without one first, but that just my opinion.
c_bkayak

agree

Post by c_bkayak »

I agree redline got to crawl before you walk
Blustar29

Post by Blustar29 »

Here's a few more to consider. Hobie Quest and the Hurricane line. I have a Quest and really like the deck lay out. It's a pretty fast boat and stablity is pretty good (not great) for width of 28". I really like the Hurricane line also. The material that they are made of is really nice. I saw a post on here where they just came out with a 16" model also.
As several have stated, paddle the yak's your interested in if at all possible. Think about what fishing situation you want your yak to perform best in, then when you get in the one that is right for you......you'll know it.