Big Newbie

saltplugger

Big Newbie

Post by saltplugger »

Hi all, new to site and to kayaking. Had some questions for you big guys on yaks. I'm 6'3" and about 300lbs., and I tried out a friends 12ft cobra the other day. This is a wide yak and very stable. Yet I still felt awkward on it, I couldn't seem to move around on it very well. And a couple of times while paddling, I thought I was going over the side :lol: .

Am I just too big to be on these things, or do I just need lots of practice. Or is there a certain kayak I should look for to buy. I appreciate any advice, I still enjoyed myself and it seems like a great way to cover some water.

Thx
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Saltplugger,
I am your size and I paddle a Malibu X-Factor and have none of the problems you mention........previously I paddled a 12' OK Drifter and had no problems.

I don't know how much you want to move around in a kayak, but you are pretty much limited to sitting inside, sitting with you legs spraddled, sitting with both legs over the side or if you have the right kayak and the balance, standing. I think you can see, 3 out of 4 are sitting.

A 12' cobra should have been pretty stable. Personally, I have never experience feeling like I am going to fall out of a kayak. Perhaps it is because I keep my center of gravity low by sitting and not trying a lot of moving around.

Don't know it this helps or not........but there are plenty of kayaks out there for guys our size.
saltplugger

Post by saltplugger »

Thanks for the info, I guess I just have to get used to it, and make a few more trips to build some confidence. I'll definitely look into the yaks that you mentioned.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

saltplugger,

That 12' Cobra your friend has. Was it a Navigator or a Fish N Dive? I don't think at your size you would feel you'd tip over in a FND since the FND is 36" wide, but a Navigator you could since it's only 31" wide. Both the FND and Navigator are the same length, 12' 6".
saltplugger

Post by saltplugger »

It's the Fish n Dive, and it's probably my inexperience so I plan to get in a lot of practice. My biggest concern is setting the hook or fighting a fish. I tend to put the hammer to em' when I feel the bite, so I can just see my big butt rolling out of that thing into the drink. Is there a certain method to hooksets while in the yak, especially when sitting sideways on it. Please forgive the dumb questions, I'm just trying to cover all the things I would encounter.

Thx
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

The Fish N Dive is a very stable boat that will hold around 600 lbs., we carry the full line of Cobra boats and I enjoy all of the models. They are very well built and very stable, dependable. If you would like more info on the boats feel free to call the shop.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

saltplugger,

It's just your "mind" thinks you'll capsize when you set the hook hard in a Fish N Dive. It's not going to happen in this yak. People go shark fishing out in the Gulf of Mexico about 600 yards from the beach in FND's. Just keep paddling it and you'll get used to it.....and the tricks your mind is playing with you now....will also disappear. :wink:
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Welcome SaltPlugger..

you have access to IMO the best site ever to get info you need to buy a new yak.

You will learn to try before you buy.. till you find the ONE that is right for you and your needs.

Best of all....just have fun...
txbirdman01

Post by txbirdman01 »

Im exactly your measurements and I ride in a WS Ride. I like it. when I first tried it, I felt almost the same way. What got me past this is all the knowledge from this forum and also learning how to paddle correctly. Get on the water in calm conditions and figure out your balance and how you sit in the kayak. Also, just a question, but do you have a seat with a back support on your yak? maybe you need a better seat? not sure. like i said, im new to kayaking, but am anxious and willing to learn and try new things and if your like me, then your loving this forum as much as i am.

mike.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

The usual big boy boats are the Cobra Fish& Dive, Malibu XFactor, and Malibu eXtreme. Newer yaks on the scene that could fit the bill are the Malibu Mini X, Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game, and maybe the Wilderness Systems WS Ride 135 (as much as this boat has been talked about I don't remember the capacity).

There is a yak that will fit you. The more you use a kayak the less the tippiness feeling will be there because you'll be used to keeping you center of gravity in the center.
saltplugger

Post by saltplugger »

Thank you all for the great info. This really is a great site, glad to be a part of it now.