Decisions,decisions

reelfisherman

Decisions,decisions

Post by reelfisherman »

I'm ready to take the plunge and by a yak. Looked at a T120 and like the boat but wonder about the Speck and how much better in dryness, ease of paddling and tracking there is between them because the price difference is significant. I know I will still have to buy a seat or at least a back support for the Speck. What's your experience?
altonr77

Post by altonr77 »

I paddle a scrambler xt. its a spec, and I am selling it because it is a slow loud boat in the bays. in the surf however it is a great boat.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

I know people who have Specks and they say Specks are wet. They seem to like them anyway.
rickr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by rickr »

A Speck can be a wet ride, especially if your over 200lb. But well fitting plugs for the scupper holes have solved the problem for me (I have found a sliced piece of pool noodle works best). I would sit in one before purchase, as I found the back side of my belt buckle did not fit well so I bought a cheap boat cusion to sit on which works just fine. Go to the seach function and type in Speck. I know one post that went over 10 pages of comments. I like mine and IMHO I don't believe the price difference between the more popular boats makes up for the differences in performance. I would really recommend paddling a few different kayaks before deciding. A kayak for one person may not be a good platform for another. :roll:
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The price differences in kayaks are there for a reason. Thicker and better grade of plastic, higher quality outfitting, and more efficient hull designs are just a few things to really look at. Most folks just getting into the sport tend to overlook the minor parts that make a difference. Things like the Tarpons use stainless nuts, bolts, and screws to fasten all of the parts and accessories. The points of extreme stress such as the ndles have brass nuts molded directly into the kayaks. They aren't pulling out. Less expensive kayaks generally use aluminum rivets to attach the accessories.

Add to that a built in seat, an attached seat cushion, paddle holders, etc and you'll see why one kayak costs more than the other.

And regarding the paddling characteristics, the T120 is a great little boat. I'm 220 and the floor stays dry with me and my gear on board. It tracks well and manuevers easily. Just an all-around good kayak.
scissorhands

Post by scissorhands »

I just had to make a decision on a yak a week ago. It was between the redfish and the marquesa. I did a lot of thinking and just wanted to buy the right yak for my needs. Find the yak you really want and save until you can afford it. I had to wait 2 years before I got the yak i wanted. By the way I ended up with the ws ride 135, its awesome, super stable and easy to paddle
NaplesJohn
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NaplesJohn »

I have both a Tarpon 12 and 14, likes them both though the 14 is easier to paddle long distance w/ better glide. Save your pennies and by a high quality long lasting boat. Have fun!
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

Lots of good responses and information, thanx. The thing I do agree with is to buy what you want and buy the best you will be able to afford even if you have to wait. I think the thing I'm looking at is, will this turn out to be a long term activity or not. Right now it I am on the outside looking in and don't know if it will turn out to be something I will do often or long term enough to justify the larger output of cash. I have noticed that used boats go at a fairly high percentage of the original price, but most of them are on the coastal areas and don't know if that would work out well in the D/FW area if it turns out it's not for me, hence the approach of the entry level spending delema(sp) :)
txdiamond17

Post by txdiamond17 »

I went thru the same dilemma as you. I wanted a FnD or X Factor because I am a big guy. 6'3" 260. But, I live in west texas and lakes are at least an hour away. I knew I would only be using the yak in freshwater. After much (too much) thought, I decided against the "go for the more expensive boat" theory and buy the Speck. I wish I had done it months ago. I am really too big for the speck, my butt stays wet because of no scupper plugs, but I absolutely love the boat. I have never had so much fun fishing. I know there are newer and better designs, but you won't know what you want in a yak until you spend time in one. Also, the speck (aka OK Scrambler XT) is still made by Ocean Kayak, a highly reputable kayak manufacturer. They may make Academy a deal on the price, but they will not make an inferior product. The Speck is 399 at Academy and 499 at Gander Mtn. My suggestion is buy it and have fun. You can recoup most of your money if you don't like it in the end. The boat is stable, plenty fast, etc, etc. You will want to upgrade someday, but then you will know what you really want in a kayak. Just my .02
CavassoCruiser

Get a boat!

Post by CavassoCruiser »

Buy a lower-cost or used boat (plenty in classifieds) and get on the water! The used ones, at least, will hold their value quite well, and when you've saved up the difference, you can spring for the "dream" boat. Good luck!
Scubasteve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Scubasteve »

SPECK VS. TARPON????? Tarpon hands down. My .02, the Speck is not even in the same ballpark as the Tarpon. If you wanna look at something more comparable to the Tarpons, check out the Prowlers. I have tested both and will stick with my prowler (for now).

Ss
Red Hunter

Post by Red Hunter »

One more vote for the Tarpon.
Tro-Trout

t 120

Post by Tro-Trout »

Don't know much about the t-120 but have a friend that loves it.
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

Just to update, I've committed to buy a Heritage Redfish Angler 14. Hope it proves to be as good as the "T" series. Any thoughts?
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Yep. You're addicted just like the rest of us. Have fun with it!