Kayak STS seat and rigging

JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Kayak STS seat and rigging

Post by JimD »

Wh have not had a good discussion on what is the best seat to get since everyone wanted the old STS with the small pack on the back 3 or 4 years ago.

With the t160 I do not have a tank well but took my STS and added a small cooler that attaches to the back of the seat. I keep emergency gear in the seat pocket along with my 360 light. In the cooler I carry all my fishing Gear. With two rod holders on the seat and two flush mounted rod holders there is plenty of room to even use one of the flush mounted rod holders to place the anchor since I usually carry 3 rods.

BEW Think it was Tom Stubb that posted years ago in his drifter days about using the correct size pvc to be able to fit down into the flush mount and raise your reels up as far as you need to keep it out of the spray and splash. It works if you do not have the odd size flush mount rod holder. Had to change one out.
My reels are extended about a foot up off the deck.

Also an old Hobie seat that I added rod holders to for my old kayak.

While we are looking I threw in pxs of my 360 which is mounted in pvc that was sectioned so it fits in the small seat pocket till needed.

I have changed to a bigger cooler and a few things since thse pixs were done 3 or 4 years ago but the idea is there.

One last trick that has worked form me is on my sts seat I have needle nose pliers attached to my right forward seat strap where I can reach them and a knife on the left strap. Do not use them often but they have come in handy a time or two. You can see the pliers on the px with the seat and 360 light. Wink Wink
Attachments
IMAG0018.JPG
seat.jpg
IMAG0020.JPG
planohog

Post by planohog »

sorry for cross posting but , I want to throw this out.

I like this version due to storage solution. With a tadem kayak there
will be two of these, lot of places to store items

check this link

this may also be the old seat from above post

-tmoore

http://topkayaker.net/TopKayakerShop/in ... ucts_id=64
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

It is

Post by JimD »

It is the old STS. Just a little used and faded.

I still recomend the small cooler hooked on the back. Easier to get to cooler instead of a crate and waterproof too. Less chance you do a 180..
Last edited by JimD on Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikiek

Post by mikiek »

I still think the STS is the best seat out there. That's probably why there are so many copy cats. The high and low back adjustments on each side really help during a long day of paddling. I have the back pack on mine - never used it once.

Folks seem to get scared when they see the prices of some seats. I've always said - the seat is the most used piece of equipment on your yak, even more used than your paddle. Spend the money!