BTB Tip #1 - Circle Hooks

Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

BTB Tip #1 - Circle Hooks

Post by Parrothead »

One of the common questions I am getting concerns the use of circle hooks. So here are a few simple guidelines.

1. Try to get away with as big a circle hook as you can for the size of your tackle and bait you are using. I like this guideline:

15-20lb - 11/0-13/0 circle hooks - crabs, small whiting, small mullet
20-25lb - 13/0-16/0 circle hooks - crabs, large cut baits
25-30lb - 16/0-18/0 circle hooks - crabs, large cuts, whole baits

A 16/0 is pretty standard because you can use it with most big baits. I'll drop down in size when I have lighter gear or a smaller bait.

2. In order to set a circle hook, the best way I have found is to (1) let the fish eat the bait with the reel in free spool and the clicker off. (2) engage the drag and start winding. (3) point the rod right at the angle of the line and keep winding. (4) When you come tight to the fish keep winding until line is coming off the reel.

At that time you can raise the rod tip and put a bend in the rod. Sometimes you can raise your rod tip as your trying to come tight to the fish, but don't set the hook with the rod. Just keep winding.

I will announce dates for a couple of tackle seminars before Beyond the Breakers. And we'll go into a whole lot more detail!

www.beyondthebreakers.com
OVERRUN

Post by OVERRUN »

Man, if only I lived closer to Galveston. I would love to attend all the seminars. I've wanted to fish BTB ever since I got my kayak. However, I've paid close attention to all the info y'all post on here so I'm learning something.
theduck
Location: ARANSAS PASS, TX - A little chunk of paradise fifteen minutes from the Port A Ferry Landing

Post by theduck »

Good info. Thanks.
I have added it to the Norm Files.
:D
SpeckledTex

Re: BTB Tip #1 - Circle Hooks

Post by SpeckledTex »

Great info... Looking forward to calm seas to try them out..