San Saba Report (Saturday)

Coogyaker

San Saba Report (Saturday)

Post by Coogyaker »

On a buddy’s suggestion (Aaron/Kayak Rockport), we met up this weekend to fish the San Saba. A first for me. This river wasn't on my radar before, but it sure is now.

On Saturday we drove to Menard and met with Brent Frazier, a kayak fishing guide located in town. Really nice guy with a stable of 12 kayaks who guides, rents, provides shuttles, etc. All we needed was a shuttle, although in retrospect we definitely would have benefited from renting some smaller, more agile kayaks (the ol’ X-Factor wasn’t exactly designed to negotiate tight S-turns on hill country rivers :wink: ). We took his advice and did the run from town to 5-mile crossing, about six or seven miles downstream. While unloading our boats, the mayor of Menard, Johnny Brown, stopped by and chatted with us. He fishes the San Saba regularly from his yak and was telling us he does well on black bass both upstream and downstream of town. After hearing the mayor describe some of his recent trips, we were feeling pretty good about our chances. It was around 1 pm when we finally put in and sure enough we started catching fish right away.

It is a small river, and with the lack of rain lately, I was worried that we might be dragging more than paddling. That turned out to not be much of an issue. The river was bigger than I thought. It gets narrow in spots but there was plenty of water along the entire route. We had to portage around a couple of private bridges and one fallen tree. Other than that it was pretty easy paddling. Like a lot of hill country rivers, the San Saba runs clear over a limestone bed, large pecan and oak trees grow along the banks, fishing is good, wildlife abundant (I don’t think I ever saw so many wild turkeys). You are not surrounded by the high rocky bluffs you see on the S Llano, but it is still very scenic and remote. Once on the water, I saw very few houses and no other people the entire day. We caught large mouth, hybrid, maybe a few spotted (I have a hard time telling the difference) as well as red bellied and long eared sunfish. The bigger fish were holding in deep holes under high cut banks.

We were steadily catching fish and not making very good time down the river and ended up paddling the last mile or so in the dark listening to the cackle of wild turkeys from the high banks. It started to get pretty cold so we picked up the pace and got off the water at around 7:30.

The fishing along this stretch seemed on par with some of the better fishing rivers in the hill country. Not as many riffles as the S Llano or as many small Guadalupes, but plenty of large mouth, hybrids and pan fish. According to Brent, the cat fishing is really good as well.

Hungry and cold afterwards, we stopped back in town and ate at the Side Oats Café. The food was great! I wasn’t expecting such a good meal. Good coffee as well. All in all, a really great experience.

I would recommend this trip to anyone who hasn’t tried it. I plan to book a two-day paddle with Brent this spring. He mentioned that he does three day trips as well.

For anyone interested, Brent Frazier’s phone number is 325-456-6447. No e-mail but he said a website is in the works.

photos to follow...

[update ~I most likely caught Guadalupe bass, not hybrids. Just not used to catching them in the slow water. Thanks Kelly]
Attachments
San Saba 049.jpg
San Saba 049.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
San Saba 046.jpg
San Saba 046.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
launch point in Menard
launch point in Menard
San Saba 027.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
Last edited by Coogyaker on Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Thanks for the post, Coogyaker. I'll be sure to remember this if I ever head to the coast and get blown or rained out. Glad you had a great trip and look forward to viewing the pics.
Coogyaker

Post by Coogyaker »

a few more
Attachments
San Saba 084.jpg
San Saba 084.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 7356 times
San Saba 070.jpg
San Saba 070.jpg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 7356 times
San Saba 066.jpg
fishr3

Post by fishr3 »

Now that's my idea of fishing paradise. Small streams and light tackle. No crowds or power boats. :D Beautiful Scenery. Thanks for the photos.
GUMB0
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GUMB0 »

very nice!
BENNY
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by BENNY »

Great report and pics Danny.

I wonder how a smaller X-Factor would do?....say about 9' or so? 8)
Coogyaker

Post by Coogyaker »

I wonder how a smaller X-Factor would do?....say about 9' or so?

I think that would do the trick. Now if only I could get my hands on one ... :lol:
BENNY
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by BENNY »

I got to get my hands on one too. You know durability testing and all.
It won't be long bro....we are just weeks away.
Alamo

Post by Alamo »

Thanks for scouting that area out. I sometimes have to travel to Big Spring and pass through Menard. I have often thought of stopping for a while and checking out the San Saba. It's on my list now.
Coogyaker

Post by Coogyaker »

Alamo - if you get a chance to go, I would be interested in hearing how you do. I'll probably head back that way in a month or so.
Spooled

Post by Spooled »

I hunt pretty close to there. The headwater spring is maybe 15 miles upstream near Ft. McKavitt. It has always had water no matter what month and I have often thought of fishing it. Next time I head out that way, probably in April, I definately will bring the kayak. Do you think a tarpon 120 would work ok?
Coogyaker

Post by Coogyaker »

Spooled - I think a 120 would work great.

One caution - look out for the drop lines hanging from low branches (there were quite a few downstream of town). I had one hook a bungee on my boat not too far from my arm - a couple inches higher and that could have ruined my day :? .

Otherwise, it should be pretty easy paddling in a 120.
Spooled

Post by Spooled »

Thanks, my buddy and I are already planning a trip.