Yakima kayak saddles

scott_home

Yakima kayak saddles

Post by scott_home »

I am wondering if anyone has used the Yakima or Thule kayak saddles, such as Mako or Landshark. Do they reduce the tie-up time? I currently have a Yakima rack without the saddles. I am spending about 10 minutes to tie up the kayak in every loading. What advantage, if any, do I get in using those saddles? Or are they just waste of money? Thank you.

sf
Mercy
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mercy »

I have Mako saddles and I really like them......very simple...very easy.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

I have Mako saddles and think they are great. I think it saves somes time when straping the kayak on with just one person. I also think that the kayak rides better in a stong wind in the saddles. It's really a personal choice, but I like my saddles and if you already have the bars - the most expensive part of the system - the makos can be found for less than $100 for both sets.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Sneak peak at "Kayak Riggib" page

Post by Lefty Ray »

I use the saddles and the Land Sharks by Yakima. They are really great.

Here is a link to an unlinked "kayak rigging" page that I am working on. It is not finished but will address what you are asking about.

http://www.leftyray.com/kayakrigging.htm

Image[/url]
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Mako Saddles

Post by Newt »

I've been using the Mako Saddles with a Tarpon 16 for 2 yrs now. No problems at all. I use the bow line just in case Murphy rears his ugly head. Like Lefty says the grey plastic part of the saddles is tacky. When you tighten the straps it grips the Yak. The black part of the Makos is hard & slick the Yak slides easily on it before you tighten the straps.
Chaz2

Yakima Makos

Post by Chaz2 »

I have both regular saddles and the Makos on different racks. Frankly the makos are a bit more hassle, it may be that they're on my Odyssey van and it's hard to work up on top of it.

One thing I would recommend - get the loader bar from Yakima - saves your back a lot of pain!
breakbuddy

Hey Lefty..

Post by breakbuddy »

I noticed that you have a Yakima rack attached to your factory rack, I have a 98 Explorer with Hully Rollers and Mako saddles. What is the weight limit and bar spread on your rack? Do you find that your kayaks 'bounce' when you drive?
Thanks,
-bb.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

I use yakima and stacker too.

Post by JimD »

I have the yakima racks and swap back and forth between saddles and the stacker when I carry more than one kayak up on top.

I take the 5 to 10 minutes and use two tie downs on each yak and a front and back tie down to a single yak or hooked together if two yaks.

Is it worth the extra?? I Do not know but I run 80 plus with no lost or colapsed boats yet.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Breakbuddy,

My rack is rated for 200 lbs. More than enough for 2 kayaks (and some water when it rains). I get no bounce. See the link for more info. Scroll down to "Kayak Vehicle Racks (or how to save a bunch of money)"

As I mnetioned above, this page is not finished but it will adress some concerns mentioned inthis thrread.

http://www.leftyray.com/kayakrigging.htm

Image[/url]