Jones Lakes 20-Apr-2024

deptrai

Jones Lakes 20-Apr-2024

Post by deptrai »

I purposely got a late start because I didn’t want to arrive in the dark and get eaten alive by mosquitoes again. The plan worked so I didn’t get to test my newly acquired Thermacell. A few yaks and a pair of Solo Skiffs launching about the same time as me.
morning.jpg
I only encountered one barge in the morning. He blew his horn for me, but it was just before I made my turn into the first lake so we never got close to one another.

Tide was relatively high.
entry.jpg
Not much of an estimated tide movement today so I didn’t have very high hopes.
tide.JPG
tide.JPG (30.04 KiB) Viewed 186 times
It wasn’t long and I had my 1st keeper trout at 8:02. I think he went about 17”.
820.jpg
Nearly 6 hours later until I found another school.
The wind was ripping and it made fishing difficult.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/tmteLa99t08?feature=share[/youtube]
deptrai

Re: Jones Lakes 20-Apr-2024

Post by deptrai »

2:08pm:
208.jpg
2:34pm:
234.jpg
2:42pm:
242.jpg
Didn’t catch a Red all day. I did see a couple crashing on small shrimp. One of those shrimp actually jumped into my yak. It jumped back out before I could get my phone out to take a picture.
I also saw several Alligator Gar swirling on the surface.
11 miles of paddling & pedaling.

Speckled Sea Trout for dinner tonight.
stringer.jpg
Dave
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Nice haul! I haven't seen a trout since last November. Others here are catching them, but not me. I'm stuck in the 16-19" Red rut. I went out in my skiff Wednesday, and kept up the 16-19" streak, till they ran me out of live shrimp. I had a bag of frozen shrimp from last week with me, and started feeding them to the baitstealer perch and hardheads. I was down to my last two dead shrimp, and chunked one out on the bottom, and reeled in my other rig, with a popping cork and shrimp. I decided, screw it, I'm going to the ramp. I started reeling in my bait, and I had a fish on! Turns out, it was a 25" Red. As they say, even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then. Amazing! It's been blowing like stink since then, so I'm waiting for a lull Monday and/or Tuesday. Keep up the good catches. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Jim, I'm sorry to hear you're going hungry. Maybe ask Glenn if you can paddle along to his slough one day.
Congrats on the upper slot red, now you need a camera.