Jones Lakes 7-Apr-2024

deptrai

Jones Lakes 7-Apr-2024

Post by deptrai »

Hard to believe it’s been over a month since I’ve been fishing. House hunting and wind…mostly wind has kept me off the water.

Wind forecast for today was 8 mph in the morning and 11 mph at noon so I went for it. Mosquitoes were THICK in the morning. I’m going to buy one of those Thermacell things. Mixed reviews, but I’ll take the chance. I used a whole can of spray. Fortunately, they went away when the sun came up.

Arrived at 6 and was on the water at 6:30. 3 other yaks ahead of me were going to Cedar Lakes. I must try that area sometime. With my repaired Alphas Air TW and my new Aldebaran, I was headed in the opposite direction today.

A friend decided to join me for about 5 minutes. He was having fun swimming under me and causing my yak to push from side to side.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/-DxAal3JY48?feature=share[/youtube]

I was doing about 4mph on my way to the entrance. No barges today, coming or going!

I’d call it about average water level at 7am.
entrance.jpg
I stumbled across a school of Speckled Sea Trout. One of my 2024 goals was to catch more than 1 keeper trout in a day. I can check that box.

Right off the bat, I caught a short trout at 7:13.
7;13.jpg
10 minutes later, I had a keeper.
7;23.jpg
13 minutes later, I released a 22 incher at 7:36.
7;36.jpg
Last edited by deptrai on Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deptrai

Re: Jones Lakes 7-Apr-2024

Post by deptrai »

7:44 I released a 24 incher.
7;44.jpg
7:59 I released a 23 incher.
7;59.jpg
I caught 10 trout in all and 1 short red.
8;36.jpg
I saw several BIG reds rolling on the surface just like I did last year. I think they may be feeding on small crab.

No other boats or yaks in the Jones Lakes system today. I love it.
As forecasted, the wind did pick up just before noon and made it pretty much unfishable.
Headed back to the barn to do some house hunting.
IMG_5418.jpg
I really like the Aldebaran. Casts further than the Daiwa and I love the sound of the drag clicker.

Dave
Last edited by deptrai on Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I only fished Jones lake once. Conditions were unfavorable due to very muddy water and high wind. Your post makes me regret never having given it another try. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Great day on the water, great results, photos, great report.

Thermacell works.

When we set up a trailer in the still-air scrub at Josh's Copano digs, a mat goes down, we set up tables for rigging and lounging, and Thermacell gets placed immediately.
Only way to tolerate the mosquitos there.