Educate me on Hobie drives

motoyak

Educate me on Hobie drives

Post by motoyak »

So I got a used Compass with kick up fin technology. In looking for turbo fins for it, I was amazed at the various models/features the Mirage drive comes in.
I bit the bullet and dropped a wad on the turbo fins as I found the stock fins to be sadly lacking due to either size or being "wore out". In doing so, I ordered some generic turbo fins that were made for GT models (ie-pre 2020). My initial question is , do the GT turbo fins require a longer mast? If so, are the masts the screw in type? I cant return these fins so I need to know for resale puposes.
A link to the history of Hobie drives or any info you have to share would be great.
SWFinatic

Re: Educate me on Hobie drives

Post by SWFinatic »

I’m not100% certain on this but I’m pretty sure the mast diameter is the same from the GT drives to the current drives. The mast length is going to vary. Keep in mind the turbo fins are longer so that is going to obviously require deeper water to be able to peddle in.
razorbackyak

Post by razorbackyak »

Yes you should be able to replace the standard masts with turbo masts that are compatible with turbo fins.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

good info fellers. My 2020 model changed from GT type to kick up type which is good and bad. Good as mine will kick up when hitting something. Bad where the fins I got (non-returnable) wont work so Ill have to resell and get what I need. Live and learn :?