Arroyo March New Moon

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Arroyo March New Moon

Post by Ron Mc »

This is the latest "winter" trip we've made to our favorite dock house, which is owned by Spencer Bell.
3 nights in the Texas tropics.

Up front, I didn't get any photos of Texas Jim, who was there with his skiff, taking advantage of the dock boat lift. He was out every day, and both evenings, fishing outside dock lights from his skiff. He caught a huge gafftop catfish.

We had a wonderful trip - and a superb bike ride.
Fishing was not great - in spite of balls of glass minnows in our dock light, schoolies never arrived, and we only had one snook slurping the surface behind our dock piles.
We caught a good stringer of nursery trout 15" to 18" (2 more stringer trout in following nights), and I caught a 19-1/2" black drum which made huge fillets.
Susie cut them small to add to our last-night fish fry, along with oven fries, perfect cole slaw, and peach-blackberry cobbler. We ate like kings.

Keep in mind, for every stringer trout, we each released 6 under 15".
I always fillet in the morning after a last nap and breakfast.

My 94-y-o dad made this trip.

again, another trout was on the 2nd night stringer

filleting 3 to 5 fish was not a terrible chore, and Tony kept the work area policed for me.

No words for the bike ride. My goal was to see the Cayo below the dam,
10.5 mi to get there, on the bike-only roads in Laguna Atascosa NWR.

Rumors abound that if you can get a kayak up the twisty channel from the Arroyo, you'll find snook and redfish stacked in the holes below the Cayo dam. We tried access from the county park last year - those gates are locked - only way in is NWR visitor's center at the south end - or make the long paddle from the county park.

From this signpost, to the left is the dam across the Cayo, right is Horse Island, where Steve, Lou and I beached our boats on a paddle to Rattlesnake Bay 7 years ago. Straight ahead (behind me) is North Point on the Arroyo.

Below the cayo dam is a fishy place - a tidal basin limit with big holes - we saw gar and surface slashes.
I had a rod, Lou didn't - now that we've found it, we'll go back with rods.

Behind the dam, the Cayo was mud.
For this reason, we decided to go back the way we came, rather than following the Cayo shore, and adding 7 mi and an extra hour on our ride to finish the Cayo loop.

Our 21 mi burned 1500 calories, though I imbibed 700 along the route.
The giant front bag holds a 15-l Ice Mule.

While we were out, we also had to complete a grocery list for Susie.

I fished the last night and last dark hour, while taking down tackle when I was done with it - lost count of tourist trout - everyone else slept in - except for Tony, who got up at midnight, caught and filleted 2 fish to take home.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TexasJim

Re: Arroyo March New Moon

Post by TexasJim »

I went to Harlingen a couple of days before the other five arrived at Arroyo City. My former band-mate from the Virgin Islands was visiting his 98-year-old Mom, so I stayed with them. On Saturday, we took my 14-foot Low-Tech Polack Trolling Skiff to San Martin Lake, on Hwy 48, between Brownsville and Port Isabel. Stopped on the way at RGV Bait Masters in Los Fresnos for live shrimp. We launched and headed under the bridge. Most power boats can't get under the bridge, so it's usually just kayakers and me. But, before we got to the bridge, we had hooked up a pier fisherman's braid line, which stopped my 15 HP outboard! So, we drifted to the oyster-laden shore, and I got to wade and pull the prop and cut away all the braid. A real pain, but just another adventure in my never-ending string of events. We finally went under the bridge, which, as usual, had bank and wade fishermen at every available spot. We anchored and started chunking soft plastics and shrimp on the bottom. A good current was coming under the bridge. After losing baits to the oysters, we both went to popping corks with shrimp. Buddy got a hit, and it was a slot snook. I put my net under it, and it was net-shy, and spit the hook! That was the only hit we got all day. After about five hours we called it and bailed.
Sunday, I went to Arroyo City to meet the gang. Ron helped me launch my skiff. After the obligatory great meal at Chilly Willie's, we went back to the house. They all rigged up for dock-light fishing, and I rigged for drift fishing the house lights. I hooked up what I thought was a slot Red and it fought and pulled drag over and over, and when it tired out, it was a 24" Gafftop Catfish. Dang! C & R, as I didn't drive three hours South for Catfish. I didn't have any more bites, and hung my skiff in the lift for the night. The others hadn't had much luck by then. I went to bed.
At 5 AM, I woke up and it was 55 degrees, with a NE wind. I went back to sleep. When I got up later Ron and the guys had fooled some trout into biting.
Later, I fished East, almost to the "Y", where the Arroyo Colorado barge channel intersects the ICW. Hardheads and one Stingray. I went into the Cayo Atascosa, but it was way too shallow. Caught more hardheads. Went back to the house for a great dinner, prepared by Susie.
Tuesday, I did a little fishing from the dock, but only caught baitstealers. Tony helped me retrieve my skiff at the Thomae Park ramp. Another great meal by Susie.
Wednesday, I went back to San Martin Lake, met Buddy, and we fished five hours without a bite! First time I had ever been there when there were NO pier or wade fishers. The locals seem to have better knowledge than us. A hatch fell on my favorite baitcaster rod, and broke off about a foot. We lunched in Harlingen, then I got on the road for Rockport. Great trip, good food and comradery(?). I was surprised they didn't bring kayaks. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks for the detailed week-report, Jim.
Also thanks for mentioning Chili Willie's - their onion rings are a food group - clone of now-defunct Huts.
Lou said they're a heart attack on a plate, but they do my favorite once/yr grilled-jalapeno cheeseburger, and their fried shrimp and fish fillets are just about perfect (not quite Susie).
borrowing an old photo

Yeah, we bought a quart of live shrimp and couldn't give them away.
Most everything we caught was on soft tandems, mix of 2" WildEye Shad, and 2" soft plastics on 1- and 2-g jigheads, and a few on metal micro-jig.
I had 2 extra XUL spinning rods rigged, one became Tony's standard, and I caught fish on the second when my primary tandem fouled my braid (we re-rigged in daylight).
Lou caught one tourist trout double.
As always, glow up front was the attractor, and caught 20% - blue in back was the boss and caught 80%.

We like this place and will go back - great friends, great times, and room for everybody, including the cat.
Next time, we won't wait for March. Our best new moons for stringers of male schoolies + snook catches have been October (mosquitos), and Nov to Jan.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great Arroyo report, Ron, even though you didn't have Hoby Navy crewman Watson there to boost your catch numbers. But the food eaten was lovingly described and you caught that nice drum plus a bunch of height-challenged trout.

And the bike ride saga was a bonus. Me, I've had severe Diverticulitis for one year & was unable to ride a bicycle for 7 months, until last week.

After two stomach surgeries I'm healing up on schedule--am playing disc golf again & riding my beloved Roland comfort bikes at a casual pace.

As for fishing, Capt Shoffer said he'd take me out when he's free after San Jacinto Day, April 21st. That's less than 3 weeks away. Watch out, men.

I'm back.Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Book it, Donno. The Freedom Patriot is now repowered with a new Tohatsu 140 4-stroke and the break-in period is just about over. This is the year when we will finally use it to mothership our yaks to some sweet remote backwaters. Given the change in trout regulations, our goal of limiting out at least one trip this summer might actually happen this year! :lol:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Ron Mc wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:18 pm Also thanks for mentioning Chili Willie's - their onion rings are a food group - clone of now-defunct Huts.
Thanks for the shout-out to one of my favorite burger joints ever. Hut's onion rings were incredible! Someone needs to re-launch that baby.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Hello friends, thanks for contributing. God Bless Huts. Their burgers, their onion rings, and their $5 shake was only $3.50 - I heard there's still one in the Austin Airport. If that's the other place, maybe there's a Huts in heaven, too.
If you ever swing through Estes, there's a perfect burger stand on SH35 (not the bypass) - Steer Burger.
Jim will vouch for this one, too.

Their Ranch Hand burger is a chilaquiles burger, and I can never get past this one on the menu.

When Mr. Watson, Esq. made our annual trip 2 years ago, he was exceptional company.

Any trip where the fish loses its spot as top priority is a good trip - takes the pressure off the fishing and makes it pure fun.
Image Image

thanks again for catching up - you guys rip some lips, Remember The Alamo, and give us a good fishing report.

ps- when we got to the dam on the Cayo, I did have a rod and opportunity lure box in my half-frame bag.
But Lou left his Daiwa BBB in the back seat of a rental car in NYC last fall - we'll fix that next time and try to chase up a snook.
Image Image
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

"Given the change in trout regulations, our goal of limiting out at least one trip this summer might actually happen this year!."

Shoffer I'm up in years but hope I don't live long enough to see our speckled trout limits reduced to ONE fish daily between 16-19 inches!
We'll be targeting edible hardheads if TDW keeps this up.Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

DD is Back.

BTW, I got a new Daiwa that's Back in Black.
Image Image

This is the SLP Works Zillion (body only), $210 imported through Amazon.
Doesn't come with a spool or handle, but I'd change those out, anyway.
If anyone wants a too-good deal on Daiwa's toughest B/C that does come w/ spool and handle, Zillion SV TW is also a steal on Amazon.