Marine VHF on inland lakes and rivers?

Onski326

Marine VHF on inland lakes and rivers?

Post by Onski326 »

Is there a need or use for VHF radios on inland lakes and rivers? Besides keeping in touch with people in your group? Are they monitored by emergency service personal? I kayak alone a lot and thought if I got in trouble in the middle of the lake and cell phone wasn't an option, would anyone hear me or answer a VHF radio? I get it down along the coast. That goes without saying but aside from those times. Thoughts?
Onski326

Re: Marine VHF on inland lakes and rivers?

Post by Onski326 »

Well there's lots of crickets so here's what's happened since Friday. Ended up finding a pair of Cobra HH350 marine handhelds for $100 used for the pair. Tried them out some today and think they'll fit the bill nicely. Weather channels are nice too. Little big but oh well. Plan to use them between myself and my son or brother, whoever decides to come along. And I'll just keep it on me when I go solo and try a radio check at the lake before going out. I'll report more later on in a few weeks when I get some time to use them on the lakes up around here in DFW. Cheers!
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Marine VHF on inland lakes and rivers?

Post by bigfost »

Good luck with the Cobra radios. Lots of the BTB beginners tried them over the years, mainly because they are cheap. In salt water, at any rate, they are pretty much trash. In freshwater, kept dry, they might be ok.