Need input...

motoyak

Need input...

Post by motoyak »

After 2 shoulder surgerys, Im considering going pedal power and could use some 1st hand knowledge. I know the weight of the pedal boats are an issue but what type/brand of drive system works best in bays and rivers? Is the seating position comfortable to long term pedalling or do the elevated leg position wear you out?
Im considering the Pelican Hydryve 2 or the Hobie Compass due to the hull weight and the flipper drives. Im a minimalist when it comes to storage and electronics are not needed. Capacity has to be #350 or greater
txanalogkd

Re: Need input...

Post by txanalogkd »

Unfortatly, I have no experience with a peddle kayak. If I were to get one, I would look hard at the Old Town Kayaks. I have heard great things to include the price of these kayaks.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

As a long time paddle enthusiast, I purchased, out of curiosity, one of the first wilderness systems peddle drive kayaks. Although the boat was a work in progress, I had no problems with its operation or construction.

I was more than pleased with the peddle system itself. The energy required was, overall, much less than that which is required to paddle. I was able to move faster, for greater lengths of time with the peddle drive, and traveling to windward was a breeze (*) compared to paddle power.

Having raced Hobie sail boats...,14,16, and 18 ft...,I am a big fan of their products and their customer service. Yet, I have a problem with the comparative delicacy of their drive system, and the operation of their reverse mode. The weight and design of the Hobie kayaks does not lend itself to easy paddling. They are, however, faster and more powerful than peddle drives and can operate in shallower water (kinda).

The downside to peddle kayaks is the additional water depth required as opposed to that required by paddle power.
As such, I would suggest acquiring a kayak that paddles easier than that of a bathtub for those times when you encounter our many Texas shallow bay backwaters.

There is a plethora of good peddle kayaks in todays market place. The prices are ridiculous...,as is everything today...,but the pleasure received is surely worth it. Hope this, one man's opinion, helps.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I hear ya on the shoulder issues.

I’ve had many peddle kayaks, mostly Hobies. I have been on and fished out of several others.

Couple of things- First there are obviously 2 styles of peddle drive systems (rotary or bicycle style and flipper style). Quality makes a night and day difference es with peddle drives. I have always preferred Hobie pedal drives because I fish the salt flats and peddle through grass pretty often. Grass is a constant issue with rotary style pedal drives. The instant reverse that comes with rotary style drives is nice but honestly getting used to the Hobie reverse isn’t hard at all (I do recommend getting reverse with a Hobie). It’s like most other things with kayaks there’s give and take.

I mentioned drive quality matters. Hobie peddle drive systems, especially the latest 180 drive with kick-up fins is the way to go. I would avoid any knockoff flipper style drive systems such as Pelican, Hoodoo, Vibe, Hammerhead, etc. They all use a 20 year old pedal drive system. There’s a reason Hobie released the patent on it. If you’ve never been on. Hobie then you probably wouldn’t know any difference but when comparing the latest pedal drives from Hobie to those I just mentioned it’s night and day difference to me and would make a big difference throughout the day at least for those of us who are north of the half century mark and tend to notice these little things.

For fishing any type of water I would recommend the Hobie Compass. It’s lighter than the Outback but to me the seat in the Outback is more comfortable. Both have good maneuverability. I still lean to the Compass solely because of the weight. The Outback is nice but she’s heavy. I currently have a Hobie Passport 12. It’s a solid kayak not quite as stable as the Compass or Outback and you have to upgrade to a 180 drive but mine does have kick-up fins which to me was most important.

If budget allows the Hobie Lynx is nice because it’s about 60 lbs fully rigged (47 lb hull weight). It does have some hull slap but that doesn’t seem to make a difference. I see people catching lots of reds from them. No other rotomolded/rigid kayak floats in less water. There are some on the used market from time to time.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

good advice fellers.
Is the reverse a deal breaker or just a convience? Plenty of Hobies with just kick up fins to be had for several hunny less.
They are proud of the pull cord reverse lol
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I can only speak to the kind of fishing I do chasing reds in the flats. For me I don’t need it. I’m rarely using pedals when I’m fishing anyway because it’s usually too shallow. But I’ve done some bass fishing in Hobies in the past and wished I had reverse. I would expect river fishing to be similar. That said coming from a paddle boat I think you would be fine without it. For me kick-up fins are big. I’ve bent two peddle drive masts hitting things in the water.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

My buddy Steve has Revo 16 and Outback 12.

I've seen him effortlessly rack the miles on two fall Redfish Rodeos in his Outback.
In a 30+-kt blow that came up last day we were out on Lighthouse Lakes, first time my T160 ever lost to windcock, he rescued me off the mangroves.

Outback gets my highest recommendation.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

My input… get the shoulders stronger and get a paddle back in your hands. :D
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Kitsune wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:31 am My input… get the shoulders stronger and get a paddle back in your hands. :D
I like your 1st part about getting stronger...Im definitely working on that!
After over 20 years of paddling, the repetition is what wore the joints out (among other things). This last go round was caused by just fishing 3 days in a row. I was using the motoyak so it was all the casting that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Im wanting a pedal boat for the short trips, I'm totally happy with the motoyak for coastal or big water trips.