Arroyo Trip

wittich

Arroyo Trip

Post by wittich »

I had my first trip out of Arroyo last Friday. Capt Joe Prado was busy fishing the Legends tournament and we recommended we book with his buddy We Capt Trevor Kucia. The conditions were perfect, light wind in the morning and then increasing to 15 MPH later on the day.
Capt Trevor wanted us to start with topwaters. My dad had the first strike, but he set the hook too early. Trevor told him to wait longer before trying to set the hook and that if a fish misses to let the topwater sit on the water for a second and then slowly begin working the lure again. Often the fish will hit it again and hook themselves. Moments later the exact scenario played out.
I had a trout smash my Mansfield Knocker, and miss. The fish returned and hit the lure twice again. I waited until I felt the weight of the fish before setting the hook. Unfortunately the fish was barely hooked on the lip and got off right by my feet before I was able to get a picture.
The flat started to turn on with baitfish activity.
Trevor pointed out a large grass bed and recommended that I wade over. I saw the grey head and shoulders of a large trout crash through the water onto my lure. I waited and I set the hook a little harder this time. The fish began head shaking and then I watched my topwater float to the surface.
Often I remove the treble hooks and replace them with single inline hooks. I catch plenty of redfish on this setup, but trout seem skilled at freeing themselves from a heavy topwater with single hooks.
We caught a couple of redfish and Trevor released a few smaller trout on a new Kelly Wiggler Paddle tail that will be released at the Houston Fishing show later on this month. On the way back to the ramp we stopped at one more flat. Trevor's mentor Capt. Wayne Davis was with a group wadefishing. We got to see another master at work. Davis caught and released a 7.5 lb trout and then caught two more fish on the new Kelly Wiggler paddletail wading nearby us.
I didn't land any big trout, but I got to see a couple and got to check out a new fishery. Arroyo is a special fishery and worth the extra drive.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Arroyo Trip

Post by Kayak Kid »

I also appreciated the arroyo area fishing. The big trout were abundant and usually hungry. Fishing the clear lagoon flats was akin to sight fishing in the Caribbean waters for bones and permit. The most fun ('mostest' in texican) was fly fishing for schoolies and small snook under the lights when the sun went down. Fond memories.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I fish the LLM and Arroyo several times a year. Last trip, a friend told me not to miss the Mexican restaurant by the stoplight in Riviera. I had driven by it for over ten years, but hadn't ever stopped there. Well, I stopped in December and was very pleased with the menu, the food, the service and the prices. I won't be missing it again. I'll be fishing the Arroyo again in March. Another good fishing spot is San Martin Lake on Hwy 48 between Brownsville and Port Isabel. Nice free launch, big trout, reds and snook. Super kayak spot, because most power boats can't get under the bridge. TexasJim
Edit: The restaurant is called "Agave Jalisco".
Last edited by TexasJim on Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wittich

Post by wittich »

After any guided trip I like to write down notes on what I learned and what gear the guides have recommended.
Capt Trevor recommends Waterloo Phantom 6'9" fast action spincasting rod
Florida reel company Osprey reel 1000 series. These were very lightweight and smooth. You can send them in for repairs for 40$ and they will change out any components that are not working well.
20lb Flouro leader
Mansfield Knockers
Kelly Wiggler Paddletails in white.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

An 8wt rod made for me by Ken Murph, with my favorite Loop reel. Various clousers, and 'Slowride made' spoons for the trout. Red fish smack ('Let's Go' design) for the back water reds.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Sounds like a nice trip.

I have a Waterloo Phantom, but I will say without hesitation that the Waterloo Salinity is worth the extra bucks. It feels more sensitive and at least when I bought mine, has an ergonomic shaped cork grip.

I've also become a big fan of the Mansfield Knockers, but I learned that they are just blanks that various lure makers paint their own way and sell them as their brand. But that peanut shape is so easy to work and the trout seem to love it.

I used to change my trebles to singles as well, but I have gone back to trebles. It doesn't seem to effect the survivability rate on release, and I haven't lost as many for sure.
rasaid

Post by rasaid »

Looks like it was a real father-son event. Good of you for making it happen.
I have now lived in Santa Fe, NM (not Tx) for 12 years after a life in Texas. I still keep a storage unit in Ingleside for the rare opportunity to return to fish the beautiful flats.

With your post inspiration I may venture to San Martin Lake or other area launches to try new waters. What the heck, it's only a 16 hour drive.....

Thanks for letting me vicariously live through your posts!

Roger