Striped bass in the Hill country

wittich

Striped bass in the Hill country

Post by wittich »

Fishing for Striped bass in clear lakes is a challenging fishery to figure out. I have had several trips on my own surrounded by striped bass boiling on the water's surface and was unable to get a bite. I caught one fish in about 8 trips to canyon lake. I was just so tired of getting disapointed out on that lake, I had given up.
Last week my buddy called and asked If I wanted to fish canyon lake. I told him only if we hired a guide. We fished with Caleb at Lonestar guide service. We hooked 8 stiped bass & landed 4. We had a couple missed topwater blowups.
It was money well spent. The was interesting, because it was minor differences between success and getting skunked. The retrieve of the lure was different. They used specific flies but they difference appeared small to me. Hiring a guide on the front end will help lower the learning curve and save you from getting skunked over and over.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Striped bass in the Hill country

Post by Kayak Kid »

What flies should I tie in anticipation of a fishing trip to canyon lake (in May)?
wittich

Post by wittich »

Bob's banger in silver or white.
Try Different Clouser patterns. They like craft fur + add a barred saddle hackle or something similar to resemble a lateral line.
Last edited by wittich on Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Thanks, wittich,

I've got dozens of clousers, but nary a one, bob banger. Will tie up 4 0r 5 this week.

Bangers should be great for specs and reds.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

My best striper fly was a cats whisker tied on 4x-long salt size 4, beefed up with saddles and a pair of marabou blood feathers for the tail.
They would only take blend colors, grey and light olive, and only on a natural swing - couldn't get one to take a stripped fly.

wittich

Post by wittich »