Christmas Bay 17-Dec-2023

deptrai

Christmas Bay 17-Dec-2023

Post by deptrai »

I got an early start, but it turned out to be a waste of sleep. It was very windy upon arrival to the launch at 6:15 am. After contemplating the conditions, I got back in the truck, reclined the seat and sat there for a half hour. After watching a few other yakers push off, I built up the courage (or stupidity) and followed suit. Water level was high as I suspected it would be due to this:
water level 17-Dec.JPG
I started fishing where I left off last time and had some success…way back in the shallow stuff. It was devoid of life. Maybe the water was too cold (59F) or maybe the water was just too high. After an hour or so, I gave up and went over to my flounder hole. Landed this guy right off the bat, but then couldn’t get any more to stick.
sm flounder.jpg
I had four of them come off after very brief fights. I think all the larger females have moved out into the Gulf to spawn and only the smaller males are left behind. When do the big gals come back in?

Moved over to Churchill Bayou where the surface water temp had reached 62F. I caught this thing, but nothing else. Is this a Sand Trout?
Sand Trout.jpg
I did lose one other suspected little flounder and went home empty kill-bagged. The first time in a long time that I didn’t harvest at least one fish.

If its not going to rain this Saturday, I want to try somewhere new (to me).

Dave
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Christmas Bay 17-Dec-2023

Post by shoffer »

That is, in fact, a sand trout.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Christmas Bay 17-Dec-2023

Post by Ron Mc »

way to brave it - finding high water level this season is a bonus.