Veteran’s Day Fishing in Freeport

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Veteran’s Day Fishing in Freeport

Post by karstopo »

First of all, thank you to all the veterans out there that served. Without your necessary and vital service we would not have the freedom to enjoy fishing among all the other freedoms we enjoy, so, again, thank you.

The main reason I chose to fish today, it wasn’t because of the fantastic weather, was that my wife was hosting in our home 50 women for a baby shower. As much fun as that might sound, I think my all time worst day of fishing would top the best baby shower by a landslide. Truth be told, the ladies didn’t want me around anyhow.

The weather wasn’t all that bad when I got to the launch. A Northerly flow, no sunshine, but enough light to see and the wind wasn’t all that big and bad nor was it even what I call cool. A light fleece pullover was plenty to keep me comfortable.

I paddled to my spot in the marsh where I thought I might find some fish and I did find fish, but as it would turn out very few found themselves attached to my hook.

The start was promising. I made a few casts with a paddle tail and then saw something chasing bait and switched over to the fly tackle and made a cast with a Gartside SHS and got instantly rewarded with a 14” trout. But, if there was a school of trout, I must have caught a straggler or something because it was one and done on the trout.

I was still staked out when I saw something disturbing the bait along a shoreline. It was upwind and out of range so I picked up stakes and paddled on up ahead to set up an ambush. That worked like a charm as the single redfish, I could just make out the shoulders of the fish breeching the surface, kept coming right along towards the ambush point. I put the tan borski bonefish slider about a foot from the bank and maybe 4 or 5 feet ahead of the fish. Within a second or two the red was about 1.5 feet away from the slider so I gave the fly a little twitch and the red responded by surging forward and sucking in the fly, a sequence of events that never gets old.

Battle on. Not a big runner of a fish, but the initial move was towards me and I had to strip in line in hurry to keep the tension on. When I saw the fish’s shoulders for whatever reason I thought it might be a sub-slot or maybe right at 20”, but the fish turned away from me and put on a display of power. Okay, at least a slot, but with the dim light and rather murky water I still couldn’t tell where in the slot this fish fit. Turns out right in the middle. It is a miracle I even got it in the net because I thought the fish was tired out, but the red had one last card to play and it was a strong one. The dive under the kayak and then wrap around the stake out stick card. By the time I got the fish in the net, the red had made a 1/2 dozen counterclockwise 360° turns around the stake. The saying I’d rather be lucky than good never had been more pertinent.
IMG_2720.jpeg
The rest of the day was anticlimactic. Lots of spooked redfish. Could not get to them with disturbing them or could not see them until I disturbed them. I finally switched over to a walk the dog topwater and got an 18” redfish and another follow.

That’s it.
IMG_2724.jpeg
IMG_2723.jpeg
Stomach contents. Mostly, blue crab with some shrimp in there and one fish.