New Louisiana Speck Regs

TexasJim

New Louisiana Speck Regs

Post by TexasJim »

Saw where Louisiana's Speck regs change Nov. 20th to: Slot size 13" to 20". Bag limit of fifteen, with two over-slot allowed per day. No bag for guides with a charter.
Be interesting to see what TPWD will have for us soon. TexasJim
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: New Louisiana Speck Regs

Post by karstopo »

TexasJim wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:08 pm Saw where Louisiana's Speck regs change Nov. 20th to: Slot size 13" to 20". Bag limit of fifteen, with two over-slot allowed per day. No bag for guides with a charter.
Be interesting to see what TPWD will have for us soon. TexasJim
What were the previous limits? Amazing they can support 15 fish limits.

My last trip had 5 trout 16-18”. Those fish provided 7 generous dinner sized servings, baked, not fried.

One of my “want tos” is to target sand trout more for table fare and maybe give the speckled trout a break if that’s something that is important, plus, who knows, maybe TP&W eventually shuts down speckled trout retention all together and then what…having some backup tasty fish might be nice.

I like bringing home some groceries even if I like fishing for fishing sake.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I’m hearing it’s looking like 15-20” 3 per day with one over sized. I still haven’t heard any more details on the oversized. I also haven’t heard if it’s going to be the entire Texas coast or the coast or just south of Sargent.

This is hear say at this point though.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

karst: From what I read, the current Regs were 12" minimum with a bag limit of 25 fish! But, you have to remember, they have a zillion square miles of marsh and estuaries, and not that many fishermen. And, they don't have the Houston, Austin & San Antonio weekly invasion like the Texas coast. I'm surprised they went that strong, anyway. They were already down to three Reds, from a previous bag limit of five.

I agree that a bag of three Specks 15" to 20" is a good table of food. In eight years on the coast, the biggest bag I have ever caught was four. TexasJim
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I have for a long time now called any 12”-15” specks I catch “Louisiana keepers” instead of dink trout. A dink speck was anything under 12” I guess it will be 13”-15” fish getting the Louisiana keeper label and dinks will be 13” and under.

Once upon a time someone, an annoying someone, I knew originally from Louisiana that lived here locally in Texas that preferred to fish over there was bragging about and razzing me about Louisiana fishing and how good it was and I was like yea, BIG WOO getting a boat full of 12-14 inch trout. So from then on I called any dink trout I caught from 12-15” “Louisiana keepers”. A friend might have asked me “Hey, what’d you catch?” and I might have said “I got into a bunch of Louisiana Keeper specks” and then go on to talk about any of the real Texas keeper fish I might have caught. For whatever reason, It has felt good to mock their limits and slots over there.

My parents raved about the speckled trout I caught last trip. They were extra good, probably because it had been so long since we had any. Around Thanksgiving is when historically I make an outing or two to specifically search out for speckled trout. There’s sort of been a pattern of fish showing up at a particular spot or two around then.

I don’t know if I would keep 25 or even 15 speckled trout even if was legal, that’s a lot of fish. But, I’m minutes away from good water and I might feel differently if I was traveling from a distant inland area or had plopped down hundreds of dollars for a guided trip.

Fishing and especially fishing on my own terms is fun, whatever transpires with the fish, but I would not be truthful if I didn’t say I really enjoy bringing something home for the table.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I hope they keep it 15-25 at 5 with one being over 25. The only change I would consider is limiting any charter to 15 a day, 30 possession for the whole group. This would limit guided boats and floating houses and such. We just went from 10 to 5 recently and didn’t even have time to see that kick in before the freeze. I also think Covid brought a lot of people fishing but will not retain the same amount of enthusiasm when normal times return. My personal philosophy is that sustainable catching and cooking is our best bet in keeping this resource… well resourceful and fun. We saw what the trophy crowd did with hunting and they are still trying to fight that stereotype.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I’ve been surprised at the dearth of fishing folks out on the recent trips I’ve taken. Not complaining, but it definitely hasn’t been crowded and I have been able to fish about anywhere I wanted to without bumping elbows with other fishermen. Seems like the trips I took roughly this time last year and years past had more folks out on the water. I wonder if people are fishing as much as they used to?

I forget what the TP&W biologists are even managing Texas trout populations for? Is it basically get the surveyed population of fish to be within some range or percentage points of historical averages or is it to manage the population to produce more trophy size fish or perhaps both or something else?

Louisiana and Texas have for a long time now had such different limits and slots and it has always been explained as Louisiana has all this habitat that we don’t.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I have noticed a decrease in activity especially during the down times. I know personally two people who had to sell their powerboats due to personal reasons. They were avid fisherman but circumstances demanded it. The license sales have plateaued since post Covid 21/22. With financial times taking a real or perceived low, personal debt at all-time high, no more social distancing, and I think we will see a good decrease in activity on the water.
Fishing is expensive for the average Joe and not worth the investment, especially if they are heavily restricted on regulations. I remember a family member told me he quit fishing because it required a lawyer to go nowadays. I do not think it’s that bad, but for the average person it can be a little overwhelming.