Freshwater striped bass

wittich

Freshwater striped bass

Post by wittich »

I have had more than a few frustrating outings for striped bass at canyon lake in new braunfels. The bass will bust bait on the surface but refuse to hit any lures, any topwater and all the flies I throw at them. I have regularly caught striped bass in salt water on the east coast, but these fish are different. ANy advice?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Freshwater striped bass

Post by Ron Mc »

Blend colors and matte finish - stripers don't buy into flashy bright colors. They also like smooth rather than aggressive movement.
Took one on Lake Travis in a bait jump fishing a green-grey Spook Jr.
We also used to picnic and bob on air mattresses at the rock grotto just up from Tom Hughes Park at Mansfield Dam.
There was a clockwork jump there in the afternoons. I kept a rigged fly rod on the bank, swam in and grabbed it, and took home white bass or striper for dinner.

The last time we really pounded them in the Guadalupe tailwater was into the fall after the '07 winter-summer monsoon washed many over Canyon Dam.
They would only give you a half hour after first light, they would not take a stripped fly, only a natural swing in the river current (Teeny sinking line).
I scored 7 that fall.

The only fly they would touch was cats whisker - except grey tail - all grey on bottom and light green wing.

John Erskine took the state fly rod record that fall, 36.65 lbs., 43 inches - there were 5 rainbows in its gullet.
They used to take hooked rainbows off fly rods right at the net and guide's cat-raft.
BTW, I took a Castaic rainbow to Barking Dog Pool one daybreak and couldn't buy a strike.

bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Freshwater striped bass

Post by bigfost »

If they are busting on top, walk the dog with a top water. My fave is the bone colored Spook, but others work.