A tough morning that turned out anyway

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

A tough morning that turned out anyway

Post by Prof. Salt »

Saturday was clear and high pressure, but I had a chance to paddle so I was out looking for reds as it got light. Four miles from my truck it began to get light and I was in a good area watching carefully. As I passed a cul-de-sac there was a big movement back towards the end of it that caught my attention. I turned in and slowly approached. In the early light it took me a moment to see it, but there was a huge red crawling in 3 inches of water and it had just slammed a mullet and got my attention. I got within 20 feet and flicked the Trick Shot past and ahead of the fish. One slow drag past the fish was all that it took, and in a noisy slurp the line went tight and the fight was on. The fish dragged me all over the little lake and spooked a few other reds before coming to the kayak. It was about 36" and way too big to even break out the measuring board. I took a photo and let her go to take up the search again for the next fish.
As the sun rose it was clear that this would be a slow morning. Not a cloud in the skies and winds were flat, so the fish I did encounter were spooky. Eventually I had the fly rod laid out and found a few fish quietly and slowly working a shoreline beside some birds. I approached and casted a shrimp fly near the front edge of the visible fish. It was immediately eaten, but the entire school broke up and headed into deeper water. Oh well, I was glad to have a solid mid-slot fish in the bag.
A mile later I found another school working a deep grass edge. They were heading to a hard corner that the fish would hit before I could get within range. I have learned to just slow down and watch them make the corner first, before approaching. I pulled in behind the fish and saw a large back out of the water. I put the fly ahead of the target and it lurched ahead, tightening the line. Woohoo, red number two! I searched hard for a third fish, and on one corner I spotted a tail working the edge. I eased to within 15 feet and placed the fly beside the fish's head but (barely) in the grass. A gentle flick brought the fly into the water 6 inches in front of the fish, but instead of eating it the fish bolted. Oh well, that's fishing and I had two on ice, so I went home happy.