Removed

redruM4un

Removed

Post by redruM4un »

Removed
Last edited by redruM4un on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Rudder Line Options

Post by Ron Mc »

Bare stainless cable lasted me 2 years on average.
Teflon (FEP) coated lasted 7 years https://www.mcmaster.com/3423T31/
I currently have 5 years on 550-lb Spectra spearfishing PE braid.
I kept my rudder cable history on one TKF rigging thread - viewtopic.php?p=2322314
redruM4un

Post by redruM4un »

Thanks for bringing that together here for me. I sure hope this and a tuneup will improve my rudder opinion...lol
First Peddle, Rudder and higher setting position.. hard to believe "at the moment" it can be stood on.

Never realized how much comfort one could find in a paddle :P
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Our buddy @TexasJim always teases me about "gadgets" on my boat.
At East Flats he joked that I need more - I need exactly what I have and no more.

A salt kayak thread on BR forum brought it into focus, where a guy reported swamping his Shimano spinning reel by laying it in the bottom of the boat while he fished a different combo. (Then took it home and didn't do anything until it quit working)
You spend money on tackle, you spend money on kayak, don't take them out together until you've worked out your rod holders and rod leashes.
I made the analogy to hunting and firearms.
The more attention you pay to the details, the more your honed skills and gear reward your effort.
When you've arrived is when the methodology is as important and enjoyable as the result.

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Hobie Spectra rudder line is hard to beat.
redruM4un

Post by redruM4un »

Anything is better than this. This is the way it was on the floor at Fin Factory .. :? :?
Been in the water twice and has little control when there is a bit of chop at your back for obvious reasons..

Sound is kinda loud in the video so you may want to reduce your volume..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zeiTsP ... sp=sharing

Will get on this project pretty soon... It's hard to do yak work when there are biting fish in reach but need to get it done before the real winter weather sets in.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

As my stainless steel rudder cables fail, I'm switching over to the Hobie Spectra rudder lines. They are silky smooth through my rudder tubes.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

From that video, I dont believe you have a cable issue. Something is binding...either contols or the rudder itself.
Control cables are not "tight" inside the plastic housing like bicycle cables for example. Id disconnect one or both ends of one side of the cable and move rudder then foot controls by hand...should be loose as a goose. Lastly check the cable movement while its disconnected. If its truly makeing the squeak and/or hard to move, cable lube would be your friend. Ive had SS cables break but never sound like the video.
Replyyour findings, iquireing minds want to know