10/21-1022 Surfside fish & camp

Cityfisher

10/21-1022 Surfside fish & camp

Post by Cityfisher »

Well, It wasn't fish after fish on fire. But I did manage a few fish to make the weekend a fun trip.
It was gorgeous down at the coast this weekend. Spent Saturday afternoon fishing with no luck at all.
Drove on over to the beach side to relax and camp overnight. People out enjoying themselves. Plenty of Para-Gliders buzzing by all evening. (none had machine guns so that was good!) Got to see some up close. Enjoyed the evening and the camp fire. Got up Sunday and went back over to the bay. Sat and drank my coffee and ate my breakfast for a bit and saw something for the first time ever in Drum Bay. There was a juvenile porpoise just cruising by slowly fairly close to the south shore.
That was crazy to me! Anyway, I fished all morning along the shorelines, some of the mid reefs, Nothing but 2 strikes on a paddle tail but didn't hook them. Started getting worn out so I started making my way back to the truck. On the way back I wanted to check out one last shoreline. Made a cast, got a bit of a backlash and stripped the line off and cleared it. As I was reeling the line back in it caught on my rudder cable. I must of been jiggling that paddle tail as I was clearing the tangle and the line tightened and rod bent over. I held the rod and line with one hand as I cleared the tangle off my rudder cable with the other hand. Had a nice tug of war with him til I netted him. Turned out to be a nice fight and 22" red. Finally a fish!!! Ended up catching another 19" red and then hooked a flounder on that same shoreline. The great escape artist they are! Pulled this guy out of the water and he does a head shake, spit the hook, bounced off the bow and plop into the water!!
Attachments
IMG_20231022_110202270_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231022_112128252_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231021_180014282.jpg
IMG_20231021_180008956.jpg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 10/21-1022 Surfside fish & camp

Post by karstopo »

Excellent. I’m trying to remember if I have seen porpoise in Drum bay before. I distinctly remember seeing a couple In Christmas bay right where Acadia reef comes towards Drum Bay. Those porpoises were so shallow they had to turn sideways to swim. I kind of feel like I have seen porpoises in the relatively deep Old ICW where it comes into Drum Bay at the south, but to see one where you did, wow!

I had been wondering what was going on in Drum Bay. I don’t remember spending a lot of time in Drum during October, seems like I’d go out there later in the year or into the winter and spring. I’ll have to look at my logs.

I’ve been amazed at the bird life on my recent trips. Drum Bay has always been a good place to watch birds.

Drum Bay is a super place to paddle around. I love all the reefs and little islets there. Catching fish there can be hit or miss, but just witnessing all the sights is more than worthwhile.

Thanks for the report.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Gorgeous down at the coast makes for a worthwhile trip.
The fish are gravy.
Thanks for the report and photos.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

karstopo wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:24 am Excellent. I’m trying to remember if I have seen porpoise in Drum bay before. I distinctly remember seeing a couple In Christmas bay right where Acadia reef comes towards Drum Bay. Those porpoises were so shallow they had to turn sideways to swim. I kind of feel like I have seen porpoises in the relatively deep Old ICW where it comes into Drum Bay at the south, but to see one where you did, wow!

I had been wondering what was going on in Drum Bay. I don’t remember spending a lot of time in Drum during October, seems like I’d go out there later in the year or into the winter and spring. I’ll have to look at my logs.

I’ve been amazed at the bird life on my recent trips. Drum Bay has always been a good place to watch birds.

Drum Bay is a super place to paddle around. I love all the reefs and little islets there. Catching fish there can be hit or miss, but just witnessing all the sights is more than worthwhile.

Thanks for the report.
I usually swap between Christmas Bay and Drum Bay. Going to Drum the majority of the year. But you are right. It can be hit or miss. I started bringing some dead shrimp on my trips and can almost always guarantee that I don't get skunked. But this last trip I decided to go artificial all the way. I am learning, still after many years there, you just have to keep searching if you can't find any fish. Eventually you will find a few. The bird activity there is outstanding. I've just sat quietly watching a great blue heron stalk the shoreline. He'll see his prey, freeze for a second, and then lunge, come up with a big fish speared all the way through. Pretty cool to watch if they will let you get close enough. Anyway, I need to venture over to Arcadia reef and do some exploring in that area. It looks very promising with all the reef there!!