Rough morning for the redfish

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Rough morning for the redfish

Post by Prof. Salt »

Saturday morning I paddled all through the Nueces delta looking for fish, and they were working shorelines according to plan. I managed sixteen of them throughout the morning, including five fish on my way back to the truck that were all between 24 and 26 inches. With the Stealth kayak the miles ticked by easily and I ended the morning with just over 16 miles to match the fish count. Fish ate Z-man plastics and a redfish crack fly when I felt like playing with the fly rod. It was (for me) a very nice morning!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Rough morning for the redfish

Post by karstopo »

I’m pretty sure I can do 16 miles in the kayak, but only if I get four or five outings to do it in! Seriously, impressive mileage logged and impressive fish tallies. I’ve done a few double digit in miles trips out in the kayak in past decades and remember mostly being wiped out afterwards. Human performance and endurance I know is something people rigorously train to continuously improve and I believe you have hit upon a great plan to maximize performance. Nice work.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thanks, and you are correct about training. I hit the gym 3-4 hours a week and work core specifically along with overall strength, then paddle every time I have a chance to keep in paddling shape. I feel better now than when I was in my 20s, and although I do get tired, the soreness is limited to my lower back and fingers after long outings.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

deja vu
rasaid

Post by rasaid »

I gotta ask as I noticed a green canvas (?) cover the deck you use when flyfishing. I need some line management suggestions but I've got a Hobie Compass pedal drive and the foot pedals are awkward. It discouraged me from flyfishing while seated.

Any tips?
Thanks, Roger
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The green towel just covers the straps and anything else that could tangle the fly line. My idea is to strip only what I’ll cast and keep it on that green towel so it can cast smoothly.if you are using the pedal drive your answer would need to be somewhat different, but I’m not sure what would work best for you.
rasaid

Post by rasaid »

Thanks for the response Dr. Salt.
If anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it. I think some fly casters strip the line over the side of the kayak to keep it from tagling in the boat but I'm not sure I am that coordinated....
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

rasaid wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:30 pm Thanks for the response Dr. Salt.
If anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it. I think some fly casters strip the line over the side of the kayak to keep it from tagling in the boat but I'm not sure I am that coordinated....
Stripping line outside the boat can offer its own challenges. Line can wrap around the rudder or outside handles and create unwelcome surprises at the worst times (been there, done that). If the exterior of your yak is smooth and you don't have a rudder it might work well.