TPWD Sets Public Meetings

Kitsune

TPWD Sets Public Meetings

Post by Kitsune »

Just in case anyone is not informed of this public hearing on Speckled Trout I thought I would share. I am planning on going to the Rockport location. Have fun!

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releas ... =20230920b
TexasJim

Re: TPWD Sets Public Meetings

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks for posting that, kitsune. I put a blurb on Corpus Fishing Forum. I'll be at the Rockport meeting. TexasJim
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

TexasJim wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:24 pm Thanks for posting that, kitsune. I put a blurb on Corpus Fishing Forum. I'll be at the Rockport meeting. TexasJim
Awesome. Hopefully look forward to meeting you there.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I won’t be able to make it. If either of y’all wouldn’t mind reporting back on how it went I would be much appreciative!

I’m guessing this is the beginning of the process that will result in decreased spotted seat trout limits.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Really wish they would have meetings in San Antonio, Austin, Eastern Houston, etc. It's not like we don't fish the coast and would like a say in the matter.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Maybe they don't want a lot of input? The guys on the CorpusFishingForum are usually very vocal about such things, but I haven't had one reply to my post over there, nor on the TexasFishinForum. Do we foresee an upcoming reduction is limits? During the just-ended regs, there were zillions of 14 to 16 inch trout, and the pros were catching many over-limit specks. I think we have plenty of fish, but they'll probably have gill net surveys that contradict that. Just before the end of the short regs, two TPWD biologists were doing a survey at the AP Ransom Road ramp and they told me the net surveys showed lots of specks. I'll be at the meeting, but, I already smell a rat. TexasJim
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

TexasJim wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:40 pm Maybe they don't want a lot of input? The guys on the CorpusFishingForum are usually very vocal about such things, but I haven't had one reply to my post over there, nor on the TexasFishinForum. Do we foresee an upcoming reduction is limits? During the just-ended regs, there were zillions of 14 to 16 inch trout, and the pros were catching many over-limit specks. I think we have plenty of fish, but they'll probably have gill net surveys that contradict that. Just before the end of the short regs, two TPWD biologists were doing a survey at the AP Ransom Road ramp and they told me the net surveys showed lots of specks. I'll be at the meeting, but, I already smell a rat. TexasJim
Personally I would be shocked if there’s not a change in the trout limits in some manner at least for areas south of Sargent. I’m hearing possibly a 16”-20” slot with one tagged oversized allowed similar to an oversized redfish but that’s just hearsay. I’m guessing we may know something in the next couple of months because I’m thinking if they make a change TPWD will likely want it to go into affect next spring before the bulk of the fishing pressure begins. It’s all speculation at this point.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I am all for protecting the young and the old, but we need a good possession/slot limit. My personal view is that management should be focused on maintaining a healthy slot number and quantity to go with it. I wouldn’t be against a tagging system for trout over 23. My offhand suggestion would be something like 5 fish 17-23 slot with one being over 23 tagged. You can purchase another tag as need be. I am also interested in vessel limits. 5 per person or 15 per boat kinda thing. Make it harder for fisherman, but not impossible.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

As long as they get the slot and daily bag limit and set properly the vessel limit won’t be necessary.

If there are slot limit changes to the sea trout there will be a huge uproar of frustrated anglers. While I understand the frustration I also want a sustainable fishery for my grandkids and there grandkids. I’m open to moves that support that sustainability.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Last night(18th), I attended the Rockport TPWD Public Meeting on Speckled Trout limits. It was one of six on the Texas Coast, from Port Isabel to Port Arthur. I met kitsune, a Forum member there. I estimate that there were around 100 people there. Mostly recreational fishers, and some guides, maybe 85/15 ratio.
The presentation started with statistics: In the 2021 Big Freeze, they estimate that 3.8 million fish died, of which 160,000 were trout. The recovery of the population has been great in most areas, but some areas, not so good, and they don’t know why. Gill net surveys up and down the coast have shown that the most common size for trout is 16”. They said that the 16” trout we have been catching in the limited slot and bag interim were probably alive and survived the Big Freeze. They showed population estimates with different slot widths and bag limits. Their feeling is that some slot and bag limit changes are needed to sustain the trout population for the near and distant future. Fishing license sales in Texas have been on a slight increase for many years.
They opened the floor to questions, of which there were many. They gave the best answers they could. There are many questions they don’t have answers for, and that was one purpose for the six meetings.
Then, comments were made by maybe a dozen folks. Most of the guides feel that there should be only catch and release for all trout. A few said they could abide letting their paying guests have some small fish. Most of the recreational fishers agreed that there needs to be some tightening of the slot/bag limit, in order for future generations to have a chance to fish for trout. This input was why they did these meetings, to see what the fishermen and fisherwomen feel about the future regulations.
It’s hard for them to make a firm rule for the whole Texas Coast. The Laguna Madre from the JFK Causeway in Corpus to Port Isabel is vastly different from the Sabine to Galveston Bay area, and the central coast from Matagorda to Port aransas is vastly different from the others. They were very cordial to all, and very muchly appreciated the comments, questions and inputs from the attendees. I hope the other five meetings were as civilized.
TexasJim
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thank you Jim for the breakdown and it was a pleasure meeting you. Overall it was a good meeting and I enjoyed the presentation. I thought the slide that showed most guided trips the angler got 5 trout and Non-guided mostly only got 1 trout with both meeting in the middle with 3. So I do think tighter restrictions on guides or vessels limits should be looked into. It is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to put strict restrictions with these numbers.I wrote my suggestions last night and emailed TPWD and Shane Bonnot from CCA my suggestions as well. I do think changes are coming, something like 15-20 or 17-23 with 3 bag limit seems to be what they were steering toward.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks, Kitsune! I was pleased overall with the meeting, and the non-threatening attitude. They seemed genuinely open to hearing what the average fisherman thinks on the subject. I'd be interested to know if all the meetings were as congenial.
Being a "local", I rarely fish on Saturdays or Sundays, but let me know if you'd like a tag-along some day. Even though I'm 78, I try to not act like it. I can paddle over five miles a trip, easily. I also have a 14-foot flats skiff that'll do over 20 with two aboard, if there's some where you'd like to fish that's too far to paddle. TexasJim
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Got these pics from a user on the Bite Me Group Page.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

TexasJim wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:51 am Thanks, Kitsune! I was pleased overall with the meeting, and the non-threatening attitude. They seemed genuinely open to hearing what the average fisherman thinks on the subject. I'd be interested to know if all the meetings were as congenial.
Being a "local", I rarely fish on Saturdays or Sundays, but let me know if you'd like a tag-along some day. Even though I'm 78, I try to not act like it. I can paddle over five miles a trip, easily. I also have a 14-foot flats skiff that'll do over 20 with two aboard, if there's some where you'd like to fish that's too far to paddle. TexasJim

I would enjoy this!

Thanks Neumie for the slides.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!! Glad the meeting was civil.

Changes in sea trout regs are coming at least for some of us and I believe rightfully so. Based on what I’m hearing I expect them to begin spring of 2024.

Usually TPWD creates an option on their website for public comment prior to changes in regs. If my assumption on the spring time frame is correct we should see the public comment option become available in a couple months and that’s when we’ll know what they are thinking about in terms of changes.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

SWFinatic wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:57 pm Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!! Glad the meeting was civil.

Changes in sea trout regs are coming at least for some of us and I believe rightfully so. Based on what I’m hearing I expect them to begin spring of 2024.

Usually TPWD creates an option on their website for public comment prior to changes in regs. If my assumption on the spring time frame is correct we should see the public comment option become available in a couple months and that’s when we’ll know what they are thinking about in terms of changes.
What does your crystal ball see for the changes?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

karstopo wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:42 pm
SWFinatic wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:57 pm Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!! Glad the meeting was civil.

Whooo I can only guess but my gut says they’ll keep the same or similar length limits and reduce the bag limit to 3. I’ve heard talk of having a tagging system for one oversize annually like redfish but I don’t see that helping the issue so I’d personally be surprised if that happens.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

SWFinatic wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:06 pm

Whooo I can only guess but my gut says they’ll keep the same or similar length limits and reduce the bag limit to 3. I’ve heard talk of having a tagging system for one oversize annually like redfish but I don’t see that helping the issue so I’d personally be surprised if that happens.
Whole coast or just the middle and lower stretches?

I don’t have a sense of where the trout population is around the limited areas I fish. A three fish 16-20” slot would get my vote. 35% improvement of current levels sounds good to me.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

karstopo wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:36 pm
SWFinatic wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:06 pm

Whole coast or just the middle and lower stretches?

I don’t have a sense of where the trout population is around the limited areas I fish. A three fish 16-20” slot would get my vote. 35% improvement of current levels sounds good to me.
My understanding it’s just the same area that encompassed the temporary trout regs which is basically Sargent south to S Padre. There are areas within this region that don’t have trout population issues but those areas are pretty small and it would be almost impossible to enforce spotty areas. I think it’s still unknown whether east Matagorda will be included in the area or not.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I’ve also heard possibly 15”-20” slot, 3 fish bag limit with and without ones oversized annually.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Was trout about all they talked about?
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Yes, karst: It was a meeting about the public's feelings about the current and past limits on speckled trout, only. There's a TPWD Commission meeting the first two days of November, and nothing's on the agenda about fish.

I'm amazed I've seen nothing about the other five coastal meetings. I'm on two other fishing forums, posted about the meetings, and have seen NOTHING about them. When TPWD figures out their plan, and publishes it, there'll be all kinds of noise and carping about it. Too little, too late.

Oh, well. TexasJim(who has never caught a 5-fish limit of trout)
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

A tag may help in multiple ways. First, if they do think the population can withstand it..why not? Some people want to catch and eat that fish so I don’t have a problem if the population can handle it. Second, if an oversized trout dies during the catch one can use the tag. Third, it could bring more revenue for TPWD. I hope they do not require a tag, but if they are going to limit bigger trout my hopes are for tag and not outright nothing.

They also noted that folks keeping trout significantly dropped off due to the grass roots campaign to not keep trout after the freeze. The response was quite ubiquitous along the Texas coast. So perhaps with the advanced technology and education we can regulate ourselves and not force restrictions unless absolutely need be.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

The changes are probably coming. 15-20 with a 3 fish limit. 1Trout over 25" being part of the daily bag. I do not agree with this proposal and have sent the needed replies. I will also be a the Rockport meeting on Jan. 9. My biggest issue is not allowing 20-25 to be retained at all. I think this can be changed to allow at least one. Surf or Jetty fishing and not being able to keep a 20-25 is a gut blow. Nonetheless, here are the links for comments and information.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releas ... =20231215a

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedbac ... rout.phtml
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Kitsune wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:09 am The changes are probably coming. 15-20 with a 3 fish limit. 1Trout over 25" being part of the daily bag. I do not agree with this proposal and have sent the needed replies. I will also be a the Rockport meeting on Jan. 9. My biggest issue is not allowing 20-25 to be retained at all. I think this can be changed to allow at least one. Surf or Jetty fishing and not being able to keep a 20-25 is a gut blow. Nonetheless, here are the links for comments and information.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releas ... =20231215a

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedbac ... rout.phtml
I hear ya it’s never fun when we are stripped of what we have become accustomed to. In the big picture I support the future regulations based on what I know in terms of trout reproduction. I’m actually surprised at the one over 25” per day part. You’re looking at least an 8 year old female at that size. My guess is there’s not as much pressure on folks keeping fish that size.