TPWD Sets Public Meetings

Kitsune

Re: TPWD Sets Public Meetings

Post by Kitsune »

SWFinatic wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:30 am
Kitsune wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:09 am The changes are probably coming. 15-20 with a 3 fish limit. 1Trout over 25" being part of the daily bag. I do not agree with this proposal and have sent the needed replies. I will also be a the Rockport meeting on Jan. 9. My biggest issue is not allowing 20-25 to be retained at all. I think this can be changed to allow at least one. Surf or Jetty fishing and not being able to keep a 20-25 is a gut blow. Nonetheless, here are the links for comments and information.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releas ... =20231215a

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedbac ... rout.phtml
I hear ya it’s never fun when we are stripped of what we have become accustomed to. In the big picture I support the future regulations based on what I know in terms of trout reproduction. I’m actually surprised at the one over 25” per day part. You’re looking at least an 8 year old female at that size. My guess is there’s not as much pressure on folks keeping fish that size.
Most likely so that if a fish is injured or for record purposes.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Yeah that makes sense. I was hoping instead of allowing one 25” fish per day they would include an option like they have for oversized redfish where you’re allowed one per year with an option to buy another bonus tag but make the oversize at 25” minimum length. Doesn’t look like that will happen.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I was really hoping for that too. Or allowing 1 fish over 20” in the bag would be even better. There is still time! I wrote them about that specifically too.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Kitsune wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:29 am I was really hoping for that too. Or allowing 1 fish over 20” in the bag would be even better. There is still time! I wrote them about that specifically too.
Based on decades of history once TPWD gets to this point (public comments) it’s a done deal. I’ll be shocked if any changes are made to the current proposed change. I did submit my thoughts online though.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

SWFinatic wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:38 pm
Kitsune wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:29 am I was really hoping for that too. Or allowing 1 fish over 20” in the bag would be even better. There is still time! I wrote them about that specifically too.
Based on decades of history once TPWD gets to this point (public comments) it’s a done deal. I’ll be shocked if any changes are made to the current proposed change. I did submit my thoughts online though.
Its enough to make one cynical of this process all together.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I put in a public comment exactly to this effect.
This gives anglers the opportunity to harvest a mortally gulleted fish, whether male or female.
Allowing 1 over 25" is almost certainly killing a breeding female.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Someone said it online but I agree. There are a lot of people who fish but not a lot of people who catch fish. Changing the rules so one can add that .5 to his/her PB or so that one can actually catch something is disingenuous nonetheless.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Listening to the Commission work session currently being held, they discussed the proposed trout reg changes. Sounds like they are going to propose and vote on (I believe tomorrow) a 3 fish per day bag limit with a 15”-20” slot limit and 1 spotted sea trout per day over 28” as part of the daily bag limit. At this time no tagging system will be required but they are going to look at implementing this later.

We should know more soon.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

The new trout regulations have been voted on and adopted by the commission to become effective by late March.

3 fish per day bag limit
15”-20” slot limit
1 fish per day over 30” as part of the daily bag limit.

As I understand it in March the commission will also plan to vote and adopt a tagging system that will change the one fish per day over 30” to one per year with one bonus tag per year also available like the redfish have.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Is this for the entire coast or just matagorda south?
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I usually keep 18-19" trout when I do keep them and try to let 20"+ trout go anyway. Galveston seems to have plenty of trout not sure about the lower coast :cat:
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

SWFinatic wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:57 am The new trout regulations have been voted on and adopted by the commission to become effective by late March.

3 fish per day bag limit
15”-20” slot limit

As I understand it in March the commission will also plan to vote and adopt a tagging system that will change the one fish per day over 30” to one per year with one bonus tag per year also available like the redfish have.
The trophy bros got their wish. This was never about protecting trout but only about making it easier for the trophy tournament dudes to get their fantasy fishing aquarium. Lame and shame on Texas.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

saltykat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:36 pm Is this for the entire coast or just matagorda south?
Entire coast
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Kitsune wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:10 pm
SWFinatic wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:57 am The new trout regulations have been voted on and adopted by the commission to become effective by late March.

3 fish per day bag limit
15”-20” slot limit

The trophy bros got their wish. This was never about protecting trout but only about making it easier for the trophy tournament dudes to get their fantasy fishing aquarium. Lame and shame on Texas.
About 20 or so people showed up to speak on this at the meeting yesterday. Most were guides. Many brought with them feedback from hundreds or thousands of people as a result of their profession (like Scott Null of the Bite Me podcast or Everett Johnson who is the editor of Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine) and all but two of those 20 or so were in favor of the 3 fish bag limit and 15”-20” slot but opposed allowing any trout over 20” to be retained until a tagging system could be implemented. Basically they didn’t want everyone to be able to keep a 25” trout or bigger per day. These people that showed up carried a lot of weight and clearly swayed the commission in their decision making and therefore the over slot minimum size was increased to 30” since they couldn’t legally add in a tagging system rule without reissuing the proposal for public comment.

I do believe we will see a tagging system implemented on the next license cycle September 1, 2024 that will allow one oversized trout annually to be retained with a bonus tag option like the current redfish tagging system. The only thing I’m not sure of at this time is whether the oversized length will remain at 30” or be reduced to 28” to align with the redfish oversized length.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

A complete racket of a way to set regulations for the entire state of Texas…beyond belief.