golf course ponds and lakes

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

golf course ponds and lakes

Post by Kayak Kid »

I'll be heading to Georgetown (TX) next week. Friends live next to golf course pond. I'm taking a 4wt and 3wt. Any tips on flies, etc., would be most appreciated.
dnordin

Re: golf course ponds and lakes

Post by dnordin »

I was fishing a private lake up by College Station this weekend, what seemed to be working was a banana spider looking fly and a Pucks squirrelly.
https://texasflyfishers.org/fly-pattern ... quirrelly/
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I saw a funny the other day in a book about fly fishing. It recommended fishing golf course ponds, but advised going around daylight, to avoid confrontations with groundskeepers that don't want you "bothering the golfers". Amusing. Maybe it's safer from flying golf clubs then, too. TexasJim
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Yes, groundkeepers, I discovered a while back, always assume that fishermen shouldn't fish in the ponds. A friendly conversation and payment of a small "fishing fee" will usually change his mind. This assumes that you are fishing in an area of the pond that is not subject to stray balls, or creating disturbance to the golfers.
wittich

Post by wittich »

I like trout magic grubs that you can buy at academy or online. Also small poppers, small wolly buggers.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

When I was a kid there was a luxury apartment complex that had a golf course and they let kids fish the ponds on Mondays when the golf course was closed. I think I fished those ponds over a hundred times. Fifteen years later when I was working as a bartender, I learned that one of my regulars was the developer that built the apartments and the golf course. When I told him that I grew up fishing those ponds he told me that he was the one that actually wrote into the by-laws that the course would always be open to fishing on Mondays.
redruM4un

Post by redruM4un »

Kayak Kid wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:14 pm I'll be heading to Georgetown (TX) next week. Friends live next to golf course pond. I'm taking a 4wt and 3wt. Any tips on flies, etc., would be most appreciated.
I know this is an older post.. but Bumble Bee and Grasshoppers have always been my fav for pond Channel Cats and Bass alike