Modular Kayak 2022+

redruM4un

Modular Kayak 2022+

Post by redruM4un »

Just bought a place on Nueces Bay that has a bit of a difficult water access to go back and forth with a single piece kayak much beyond 50#.
Giving some thought to buying a small modular yak to make my life easier and save the arms and back for the act of fishing.
Anyone own or used a "Modern" modular yak like BKC's offerings or other?

I do have a boat lift which will some day be converted into a Yak Rack / Launch contraption but that's further down the road when I'm willing to drop the coin on a couple of the grossly overweight $5K yaks that dominate the market these days.

Not knocking those yaks just have other more pressing priorities at this time.. new modern roof and windows top mama's list :lol:

There is a way to hand dolly a yak but that requires using an HOA access point that includes passage through a gated residents lot. Not ideal for my early / late hour adventures... any XP out there?

Thanks
Doug
SWFinatic

Re: Modular Kayak 2022+

Post by SWFinatic »

I have zero experience with modular kayaks but I do follow the used kayak market consistently and based on what I’ve seen there is very little resale value in them. If you buy one I wouldn’t expect to be able to recoup 50% of your investment on it.

If you haven’t already you might look at a used one. For this reason you can get into one pretty cheap if you’re patient.
redruM4un

Post by redruM4un »

I have since found an 80# Pedal Solution that I think I will try and manage for a while. Haven't pulled the trigger just yet but at $1.4K seat and peddle drive included; it's a solid start before spending bigger bucks on a Kayacht. I have pretty much ruled a modular kayak out since there are so many options out there.

Hour North or and Hour West puts me in a Hoodoo dealers and I think that's the way I will get started in pedal :P
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

redruM4un wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:34 pm I have since found an 80# Pedal Solution that I think I will try and manage for a while. Haven't pulled the trigger just yet but at $1.4K seat and peddle drive included; it's a solid start before spending bigger bucks on a Kayacht. I have pretty much ruled a modular kayak out since there are so many options out there.

Hour North or and Hour West puts me in a Hoodoo dealers and I think that's the way I will get started in pedal :P
I’ve been in the HooDoo Impulse 105. Solid kayak! Pretty stable for a shorter kayak. For the price it’s a great deal in my opinion.