Boat Ramp Crew Change Spot non-report 4-Sep-2023

deptrai

Boat Ramp Crew Change Spot non-report 4-Sep-2023

Post by deptrai »

3-Sep-2023. Drove 55 minutes to arrive at the launch by 5:30. Immediately noticed the bushes in front of my truck swaying in the wind. Got out and was buzzed by mosquitoes. Sprayed myself down, untied the yak and pondered the situation. After 5 minutes of standing there, I decided to turn around and drive 55 minutes back home.

4-Sep-2023. Woke up at 3:00 and checked windy.com forecast. It showed 8mph until afternoon. Drove 55 minutes to arrive at the launch by 5:15. Wind was stronger than the previous day. Pretty much unfishable (by me) in the yak. I fish for fun and going out in that would have been anything but.

https://youtube.com/shorts/MZS-I84v_2w? ... VoeLS0UAfE

I imagine the mosquitoes are going to start being a nuisance again here real soon.

Dave
txanalogkd

Re: Boat Ramp Crew Change Spot non-report 4-Sep-2023

Post by txanalogkd »

Start looking for alternate locations unless you are ok with wasting fuel and time. This year, the same thing happened to me twice and the thought of going back home was on my mind. I chose to launch at wind protected areas and on one of my trips it paid off. Regardless if I catch fish or not, I always enjoy Gods greatest creation and being on the water.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Bring an anchor and wade-fishing gear. Kayak to a good wade-fishing location and hop out and wade it. That’s your best bet with lures and wind.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

For weather forecasts I use Wunderground and NOAA the most; especially when it's earlier in the week. As the weekend approaches I'll add Windfinder to the mix.

The morning of the fishing trip I always check the nearest NOAA Tide Station to where I'm fishing so I can see in real-time what the wind is doing. If I need to make a change to my game plan I can.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Checked the Freeport NOAA buoy at 3am today. 8.9 knots. I went back to sleep.
8am today checked again. NOAA states 12 knots, but had been from 25-30 around 7am.
freeport buoy.JPG
Windfinder state 1 mph at the same location.
windfinder.JPG
windfinder.JPG (37.34 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Windy states 1 mph in the same location.
windy.JPG
windy.JPG (38.93 KiB) Viewed 460 times
I found this live webcam.
https://www.brazoriacountytx.gov/depart ... ad-image-0

Dave
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Guys - save your gas and sanity. Join salterwater-recon.com and use all the cameras on that site. For 29 bucks a year, it is totally worth it. I use it to check wind, boat ramp parking lot situations and just for fun sometimes.