Intel On Boat Ramp in CC

catfishChris

Intel On Boat Ramp in CC

Post by catfishChris »

Has anyone used the old boat ramp in Corpus Christi just north of the Oso Bay bridge between NASCC and TAMUCC? I am thinking about launching my kayak there next week and would like to know if it is safe. Any intel would be greatly appreciated.

And speaking of Intel, does anyone know how deep the water is under that bridge? I have a pedal kayak and want to know if I will be able to peddle underneath the bridge.

Thanks
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Intel On Boat Ramp in CC

Post by Neumie »

That ramp was practically un-usable as a boat ramp back when I was attending TAMU-CC 20 years ago; meaning you couldn't back a trailer fully into the water. Would still work as a kayak launch so you're not dragging over rocks. Plenty deep to pedal into Oso Bay.
osochuck
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by osochuck »

When going under bridge watch out for old columns, also the current can be very strong at times.
catfishChris

Post by catfishChris »

Neumie wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:19 pm That ramp was practically un-usable as a boat ramp back when I was attending TAMU-CC 20 years ago; meaning you couldn't back a trailer fully into the water. Would still work as a kayak launch so you're not dragging over rocks. Plenty deep to pedal into Oso Bay.

Thanks Neumie. I appreciate the info. I think I will give it a try.
catfishChris

Post by catfishChris »

osochuck wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:13 pm When going under bridge watch out for old columns, also the current can be very strong at times.
Do the old columns pose a risk to the safety of my kayak?
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I was visiting a friend that lives on Oso Bay around June 23rd. Haven't been fishing since do to this extreme heat!
But we launched at the old boat ramp right there because there was no water in the bay on the west side. It is a piece of cake launching there compared to dragging your yak up the bank on the other side. And yes, there are a couple of columns that stick up right in the middle just on the Corpus Bay side of the bridge. At that time the tide was so low they were sticking out of the water so it was no issue. If the tide is high you could possibly bump into them. I'd stay to the north closer to the rocks going under to the other side. I didn't see anything there.
catfishChris

Post by catfishChris »

Cityfisher wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:50 am I was visiting a friend that lives on Oso Bay around June 23rd. Haven't been fishing since do to this extreme heat!
But we launched at the old boat ramp right there because there was no water in the bay on the west side. It is a piece of cake launching there compared to dragging your yak up the bank on the other side. And yes, there are a couple of columns that stick up right in the middle just on the Corpus Bay side of the bridge. At that time the tide was so low they were sticking out of the water so it was no issue. If the tide is high you could possibly bump into them. I'd stay to the north closer to the rocks going under to the other side. I didn't see anything there.
Thank you sir! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. That’s where I’m headed next trip out.