Jones Lakes (Brazoria) 20-Aug-2023

deptrai

Jones Lakes (Brazoria) 20-Aug-2023

Post by deptrai »

Launched in the dark, but it was light by the time I made the 2 mile peddle to the entrance of Jones Lakes. Surface temp was 86.2 F.
IMG_3662.jpg
1st fish came at 7:30. A 13” trout.
IMG_3663.jpg
Next up was an 18” Red at 7:45.
IMG_3664.jpg
45 minutes later I hooked a small croaker.
IMG_3666.jpg
Last edited by deptrai on Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deptrai

Re: Jones lakes (Brazoria) 20-AQug-2023

Post by deptrai »

I was paddling alongside some oyster and saw a Redfish make a splash right on top of the sharp stuff. I stuck myself out, made the cast and landed another 18 incher at 9:25.
IMG_3667.jpg
I was holding my 7’3” rod as high as I could to try and not rub on the oyster. My line had a couple of nicks on it so I retied and reapplied the Procure. As soon as I looked up, I saw another Red swimming right at me. I made the 20’ cast and landed a twin 18 incher at 9:31.
IMG_3668.jpg
I was pleasantly surprised to land a 17.5” flounder at 10:07. It’s been a while since my last.
IMG_3669.jpg
It was getting hot so I started back in. On my way, I hit a deeper pocket of water and pulled in a keeper Red. A little skinny, but sure was tasty.
IMG_3674.jpg
deptrai

Re: Jones lakes (Brazoria) 20-AQug-2023

Post by deptrai »

I hooked a few more fish that came unbuttoned. I know two were Reds, one was a flounder and I think one was an Alligator Gar. As was the case during my previous two trips to this area, I saw a lot of Reds crashing the surface. I thought they were eating crab the last times, but I didn’t see any crab today. I’m wondering if what I’m seeing are Alligator Gar.

I also small a lot more Red (at least what I thought were Reds) with their tails in the air. These guys just won’t bite anything I throw at them. I got a video of one. Is it a Redfish?
https://youtube.com/shorts/UVqQb6PbQAE?feature=share

Surface temp reached a high of 91.4F. Only saw one boat out there with me today. There was another yak at the launch, but he went south.

Noticed a big fire next to Bernard Acres on the way home. Didn’t appear to be a controlled burn.
IMG_3675.jpg
IMG_3676.jpg
IMG_3678.jpg
Dave
OldTownYakBoi

Re: Jones Lakes (Brazoria) 20-Aug-2023

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Nice report, sounds like you were on some steady action and got some nice keepers in the boat. The strategy of launching in the dark so you can be in your zone when the sun rises is so important this time of year. In a kayak you only get 1 shot so you gotta make it count!

Thanks for the pics and taking us along

Ps. I watched your video of the tail and it almost looks like a black drum, kind of hard to tell from just that 1 clip. There’s probably others that could chime in, I don’t see too many black drum in my area
deptrai

Re: Jones Lakes (Brazoria) 20-Aug-2023

Post by deptrai »

OldTownYakBoi wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:02 pm Ps. I watched your video of the tail and it almost looks like a black drum, kind of hard to tell from just that 1 clip. There’s probably others that could chime in, I don’t see too many black drum in my area
You're the second person to suggest Red Drum. I've never caught one and have been told you almost need live bait to get them interested.

Back again early tomorrow.

Dave